To put a morphine patch on as then I become
Like a zombie and can't function at all x

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kate

I am sorry to read that you are down in the dumps. Being in pain and worrying about doing a job all takes its toll. Feeling you are being pushed from pillar to post by the medics is no joke either. None of this helps when you are not feeling at all strong and feel let down by the medical profession.

I think you need to talk. Why don't you call the helplines tomorrow when you get home from work. The number is at the top of the screen. Many people have been helped by talking to one of the dedicated, trained team. Sometimes the lines are busy but once you are through you are given all the time you need and you are not rushed at all. I really think this could be of some help and benefit to you.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • KateP
    KateP Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you , I didn't realise about the help
    Line , it sounds quite daunting but ill give
    It a try xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Kate

The Helplines team are very used to receiving calls from people who are feeling nervous and distraught. Please try not to worry - they do understand - they are dealing with people on the other end of the phone all day. If you do get upset they wait for you to become composed again. I really think it would help to call them. A problem shared is a problem halved.

The forum is a great place for help, advice and sympathy but in certain scenarios it is much better to be on the other end of the phone instead of waiting for replies. The conversation will be more flowing and I am sure that once you have taken the plunge and I appreciate it takes some guts to pick up the phone, dial the number and begin,you will feel better for doing so. If you prefer to speak with either a male or female member of the team you just say before you are put through.

It is something positive that you can do tomorrow to help yourself.

You can do it, Kate.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Dear Kate;

Poor you, you sound exhausted with it all. Here with hugs(()).

You said taking time off is not possible, I'm sorry you can't. It sounds like you really need to rest. I'd give in to being a zombie with your morphine patch if you can for a few days to give yourself a break.

I don't know what prescriptions you have tried for managing your pain, but combinations & time release types often help. I'm thinking if you have a morphine patch, you have already tried these. Sometimes prescription methadone is used for managing severe pain and it's less sedating than morphine. You would need to speak to your GP about it. Where I live it's highly regulated and only certain doctor's can prescribe it.

Wishing I could help more,
    xxAnna
  • elsa56
    elsa56 Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Hi Kate
    It is so hard when you know you need to shut off but can't. I have morphine and I very rarely take it as it turns me into a brain dead zombie, and I find it doesn't dull the pain, but it sure makes me sleep.
    You say you can't take time off work, hope you can get a few days off to really rest, Im sure they will understand
    Good Luck
    Elsie xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Can't help but am sending hugs (((()))) Mig
  • KateP
    Options
    Thank you all, I managed a decent sleep so don't feel as tearful this morning , I forgot to mention that I am also very anaemic at the moment , I keep struggling with anemia but am back on iron . ( gp cant fathom out why ) I will ring the help line later . I need to be honest about the morphine patches etc.... I work a 12 step programme and am a recovering alcoholic , have been sober 13 years but I have to be very careful around mind altering tablets. I have and will take them but it really is a last resort for me.
    Have a great day everyone and thank you again For your support.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on the 13 years - that shows you can deal with things and can continue to deal with things. I am seventeen years in with this arthritis malarkey and yes, it does overwhelm us at times but the one thing I have learned over those years is that it is wise to keep up with the lesser meds (ignoring the really strong ones for the truly tough times) because they do make a difference; maybe not enough of a difference but they help. I can't recall what meds you are on - or what sort of arthritis you have: I apologise but I have my own stuff going on at the moment and my mind is somewhat sieve-like. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    Options
    All the best for today, Kate. It is good to hear that you had a good night's sleep - makes all the difference. I hope you are able to call the helplines later on today. Please do let us know how you got on, both at work and with call, if you would like to do so.

It is good to be honest and you are doing well and being sensible about things.

Calming vibes being sent over to you,

Elna x

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Kate
    I hope you call the helplines to day and get the info you want.
    The 13 years if fantastic so....you can cope. Well done
    As for morphine ...I can understand what you mean but what others have you tried......get the GP to try something else.

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Kate like the others have said you are talking to us and that will help, but I do agree you must ring the helpline..it sound daunting but believe me it isn't when you get through..its rotten when you are in constant pain and working on top of it.Glad to see you got some sleep...have you ever been referred to a pain clinic..just a thought.
    You take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Hi Kate
    So sorry to hear you are feeling so low. The anaemia will not be at all helpful - you really don't want that tiredness on top of arthritis fatigue.Has your GP done any investigations into why you struggle with iron levels? I ask because my daughter had similar problems until a chance encounter with a locum got her folate status checked, and it turned out that was at the root of her problems - and why taking iron supplements wasn't doing much good.
  • KateP
    Options
    Hi everyone, am sorry to say I didn't get to call help line today, my daughter had the day off and came over so I did have a nice afternoon with her and a couple of hours sleep. I will ring tomoorrow and let you know how I get on. In answer to all questions : I have been Refered to pain clinic a couple of years ago, from what I recal they were not teribbly helpful except for diagnosing another slipped disc in my back which resulted in my second discectomy . I also have severe degeneration in my spine ( not sure if his comes under the arthritis umbrella ? ) My GP is not clear why the anemia keeps coming back, there is nothing obvious but i will ask him about folate. I am currently taking, 90mg arcoxia (Celebrex) per day, 75 mg pregablin , co-codamol as required, thyroxine and something for high blood pressure and something to protect my stomach ! Not bad for 44yrs old .

Have a good evening all. X
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Kate

No worries about not calling the helplines today. They are going nowhere. ;) It is great to hear that you spent the afternoon with your daughter and the afternoon nap was a bonus :)

So you are on thyroxine, I am too. Arcoxia for me as well as meds for BP.

I am sorry to hear about your spinal problems. Join the club . Me too. :roll:

Hope you sleep well tonight.

Speak soon,

Elna x

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Kate;

There is something called anemia of chronic disease. It has a link to chronic inflammation. Has the doctor checked your iron stores? And, as daffy says, folate.

I have this and doctor's are always wanting to prescribe me iron supplements, but the cause is inflammatory, not nutritional so I don't use supplements.

I take Tramadol extended release in combination with acetominophen codeine as needed. It has been really helpful for me with no sedating effect, but I guess it doesn't help everyone.

Best of luck and we're always here if you need ((())).
    Anna