Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

Options
Susiesoo
Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
edited 21. Aug 2013, 05:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
because I always feel so much better. I have RA and last week I felt as if I had a flare with lots of bits hurting and was beginning to feel anxious about how bad it might get. We decided to get away to the coast for the weekend, arrived at Bournemouth on Friday lunchtime and left Sunday lunchtime. By Friday evening everything felt easier and all the aches and pains disappeared.

I was diagnosed two years ago and since then every time I have been near the coast things have eased quite dramatically. I have thought it must be psychological, but we all know arthritis is not that. Rheum consultant was dismissive saying it was the vitamin D, but it is far too quick to be that. Last year we arrived in Italy at 5pm and by the next morning all aches and pains had gone. I hadn't been out and definitely not in the sun at that stage. It is too big a change to put down to less stress because I am away from home.

I've tried to think what could be different such as I drink less coffee (but more wine) when away etc etc, but can't come up with anything to help explain it.

I haven't heard anyone else mention this. There must be some on here who live at the coast. Does anybody experience anything similar?

I also have OA in the hips, amongst other parts, and this didn't ease so it was a matter of a bit of a walk, stop for coffee, walk a bit more, stop for ice cream ... you get the picture. The hips are easier now though.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this and hope you don't all think I am losing the plot!

Susie :)

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oooh interesting, I wonder if it's the change in air pressure or perhaps your sub conscience telling you a move is in order?! :lol:
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I live near the seaside (well, ~300m). Since I'm here all the time I think I'm used to it and the inflammation is just constant (except for weather events :cry: ). I'll bet your reduction in pain does have something to do with going to a place with a reduction in air pressure, as Starburst says.

The conclusion: live away from the sea so you have somewhere to holiday guaranteeing you will have less pain on your trip!! :D

You can never underestimate the effects of stress too, that's for sure!!

I do wish our homes & work could be less stressful places.....

Happy holiday :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I used to go to the coast quite often (I'm nine miles from Felixstowe and a little further from better parts of the coast) but have never found anything resembling benefit, even when staying next to a beach. If it works for you then that is a good thing - who knows why it is? Just be pleased it is! Maybe it's time to move? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Susiesoo
    Options
    Mmmmmm........I thought it might be peculiar to me. I'm not complaining about it, but it does seem odd. It doesn't help that living in the centre of the country it is quite a jaunt to our nearest coast. Now everyone thinks I am quite mad, not just my family! Hey-ho!

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Susie :)
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I live in brighton and go to the beach every day , whatever the weather . I'd love to say that my RA and OA have been cured or improved but sadly no ! Maybe you enjoy being by the sea and feel less tense and more relaxed and this eases your RA .
    Jillyb
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi again Susie;

I was just reading about air pressure and effects on joints. It seems it's higher the closer you are to the sea. So, maybe the stress-effect near home is the reason? Honestly don't know but it's good though eh :D
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Susie like you I thought this might be all in my mind...the distraction of an holiday the sea and sun...but I am convinced that it eases the joints...strange but when it is hot here I suffer more.if it is just warm I feel so good at the coast... we went abroad early in the year and for the second time I felt so much better..I could walk farther with two manky hips....if only we could bottle it...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Susiesoo
    Options
    Hooray......I am not alone. Oh, Barbara you have made my day. Was beginning to think...well, allsorts really. How strange it is though. I wonder if we could get a trip to the seaside on prescription. Weekly :lol:

Although, I have been reading how many on here have been feeling worse with the recent hot weather when I have been better (apart from unpleasant excessive "glowing"!! :oops: :roll: ). Maybe sitting around not doing very much helps, but I definitely didn't feel worse for it. I sometimes wonder about my diagnosis although rheumy nurse says it's right. Anyway, I am rambling now so will stop.

Barbara, sounds like we are in a very exclusive and happy club, if only occasionally.

Boomer, it certainly is good. Perhaps I'll have a look at Righ.m.v.

Again, thanks to all. Susie