A year on from diagnosis and no better!

Options
Thelaststarfighter
Thelaststarfighter Member Posts: 34
edited 5. Sep 2013, 04:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I want to apologise for not being around much in the past few months, went to a very dark place! :(
How and ever, I'm back in reasonably good form (for how long I don't know) and thought I would post a topic to,
1. Catch up with you all,
2. To seek perhaps some help?
As the title suggests, I am a year older and still I am on the same amount of tablets which is 18 per day and that’s when I don’t have an infection which adds yet more tablets to the total! Few! That’s that rant over!
I feel I have hit a brick wall with the docs, they seem to have no answers for me other than “Well sir you are sick it’s to be expected, here take more tablets"

I DONT WANT MORE PILLS!!!!!

The only light at the end of this seemingly dark tunnel is the sulphy sort of worked and hopefully I won’t need to get the next drug up.

All in all I have a lot to be thankful for I can still work, but it’s very tough. I have a loving family who understand and support me in every way.

Hope all you folks are keeping ok,

Thelastofthelaststarfighters!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm so sorry you've been depressed. It's a natural reaction to arthritis and a very common one but I'm pleased you are at least feeling well enough to post now and well done for managing to hold down a job despite everything that life has thrown at you.

I'm sorry but I can't remember what meds you are on. 18 tabs per day does sound rather a lot ie maybe you're taking some of them because others aren't working well. Might it be worth a meds review with both your rheumatologist and GP? (I presume some of these are pain relief so they'd be the GP's area.)

I'm afraid they are right in that we all have to accept pain as a background to our lives and the efforts are to try to keep it there at a level we can cope with. The way to fight arthritis is to let it win the minor battles and save our energies for the major ones. Deciding which is which can be a major battle in itself though :roll:

It's lovely to see you back :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to hear from you again and welcome to the wonderful world of taking meds and not getting much better. :) I'm on a number of tablets per day plus injections every week and one every fortnight. The one every fortnight led to more tablets thanks to raised BP, this is what happens. We take a drug to help with problem A and sometimes they cause problem B. More meds are added and problem C may arise. It's called life. :wink: We all go to dark places every now and again, no matter how long we've been LWA, because it is debilitating and demoralising to live with such a trying set of circumstances, we all understand that. I am pleased to read that you are on the up, long may that continue, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Nice to meet you
    I know what you mean about a dark place been there a few times myself
    As for more meds and no improvement that's me too, sulphasalazine not worked yet so got methotrexate now not worked yet so might be time for the next meds to be added I've been down this road for 4 years with no improvement I just keep hoping each new med will work
    I'm sure we all must rattle when we walk
    I'm glad you are getting to a better place our conditions have a lot to answer for
    I now take it a day at a time good or bad each morning is a new start
    Keep posting
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello it lovely to hear from you, but I am so sorry you have been in such a dark place...dont forget we are here and you can talk to us whenever you feel down...it really does help to get things out.
    You are seeing the positive things so that is good and the meds are working..I do hope you stay with us and rant away if you feel like it.
    You take care and I do wish you well for the future x
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I think depression or being "down" is all part of arthritis......a lot of it is to do with grieving the loss {not of a loved one but of things you used to be able to do but now can't}
    Well done that you are still working.
    By the way I'm on 17 tablets a day :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    This can be a nightmare time, trying to find the right meds for you is not easy or quick. Has taken 2 years for me but finally looks like humira is the one now for me.
    For past 2 years ive tried a fair few dmards and enbrel now on humira so yes I understand your frustration. I never gave up pestering the docs and moaned if things didn't improve , if u don't tell them they can't help, though unfortunately due to the NICE guidelines means we must trial various drugs before getting the next ones on the list.
    I think there's lots of fear around anti tnf but honestly serious side effects are v rare, for me i had to get on something that worked the alternative was not an option.
  • Thelaststarfighter
    Thelaststarfighter Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Many thanks all!

Was at the consultant guy who deals with the intestine problems this evening and well...... more tests whaaheh!

Rhumy next week and not looking forward to that either. but at least the tests they do are not as bad as getting scopes shoved up, down and sideways! Honestly I never thought they could inflict so much pain and discomfort on someone in the name of trying to help.

I must say all the comments by everyone means so much, thank you all!

Work is very difficult at times but thankfully being a manger means I can pick and choose what I do. I will be honest and say other than I like where I work I would not be working.

I hope I can help you folks in that my wife out of desperation went to a chemist and without me knowing told him everything about my complaints. I was a wee bit miffed but what she got me soon dispelled any anger I had.
    The reason being she on the chemists advice got Vitamin B complex and a multi vitamin.
    This helped me wonders! I don't feel just as tired and lethargic. Also got some fish body oil. Has anyone taken Fish oil?

love too you all

thelaststarfighter who wishes he was the lastarthyfighter!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    We wives do have our uses :lol:

I presume the pharmacist was made aware of the other meds you're on as it's always important to check there are no clashes, even with over-the-counter vitamins. If they have helped that's very good news. I think there's some evidence that cod liver oil can help a bit with OA. If you eat plenty of green leafy veg, fresh fruit, dairy products and meat that should help with the B vitamins too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright