New flare, heart arrythmias

Options
Boomer13
Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
edited 22. Aug 2013, 14:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello;

Does anyone have periodic bouts of arrythmias? I had a bad bout of this yesterday and not feeling so well today (and a bit scared). I went to see my GP yesterday and of course when she listened to my heart all was fine. Just my blood pressure was up (I take meds for this). This has happened before when I start to flare.

Earlier, the heartbeat had been way off every time I lay down. I faint a lot too when the PsA is flaring. I've always been told it was a autonomic nervous system problem but no one's ever looked into it. So, I'm in the dark as to cause. It's a bit worrying, hence the post.

The last week has been so nice, I haven't felt what is was like to be out of flare-mode for such a long time. Sorry it had to go :cry:

Just curious if anyone else has this.
Anna

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Aww no, it sounds horrible :( My heart skips a few beats sometimes but I've never noticed any pattern to it, I don't believe there is one.

I've only ever fainted wen I've been pregnant n it would be an immaculate conception, much to hubbys utter disgust :lol: so no, I haven't experienced fainting relating to PsA either.

I'm sure this is unrelated but PsA or Psoriasis can cause, or is linked to, a heart disease of some sort. I'm sure you know that tho, ure so clued up :)

((((hugs)))) I'm really sorry I was of no use Anna.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    No Debbie, you made me laugh :lol::lol: That's got to be good for the heart.

I think the PsA heart disease connection is a hardening of the arteries but I guess I better go re-read about it. My bloods for that are good.

My GP said 'oh well I guess it's just part of the process'. She's frustrated too and doesn't know how to help me anymore. She said I should wait and talk to the guru (meaning the rheum) which at least was funny :D

Thanks Debbie,
    xxAnna
  • DebbieT
    Options
    I'm glad I repaid the giggles ;):lol:

See, I know nothing!! I only knew that vaguely coz my dermatologist liked to try & scare me with that & cancer coz of smoking ... It had no effect, I gave up for my chest because I wanted to try :D

I didn't mean to send you off reading again :?

My son proposed to his girlfriend earlier, they are engaged! So cute :) I needed to share :lol:

(((( )))) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Oh that's wonderful!! Congratulations :D !!
    xAnna +((()))
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Thank you. It was nice to share some good news with you.
    I'm sorry I've hijacked ure thread, I'm such a div :roll: It's only just occurred to me that I should have pm'd it to you!! :oops:

xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Hi Anna. Yes, I have had this occasionally over last couple of years. A few months ago it got a lot worse and I was concerned. Was wired up to monitor for 24 hours, saw cardiologist who decided it was one of those things that happens to some people. No follow-up required.

The fluttering was quite strong at times and disconcerting, but having checked it out I don't worry as much. It has eased, though not gone. Having said that I had it again last week and I think I had a bit of a flare so maybe it is connected. The cardiologist didn't think so though.

I understand that you need to read up for yourself, but I would definitely suggest a visit to your GP.

Susie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I think 'palpitations' are regarded as nothing to worry about. My husband has an ectopic heartbeat and that, too, is regarded as nothing to worry about. The way it was explained to him was that an irregular irregular heartbeat is OK whereas a regular irregular heartbeat isn't. Still with me? :lol: I'd be more concerned about the fainting. That sounds unusual to me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    Options
    A thought regarding the heartbeat ... Do you have Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)? It's just hubby has it very badly, it is throughout his entire body including all limbs & his HEART!!! After many tests the cardiologist discovered the RLS was causing his heart to beat very oddly, it was almost shivering!! He came very close to having a bypass operation as he was misdiagnosed originally.

Like I said, just a thought ....

I hope you've managed to sleep Anna, I haven't yet :? xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    I used to get really bad palpitations and some times felt like my heart was doing back flips :lol:
    This settled down when I stopped drinking 8 cups of strong coffee a day, went cold turkey and thought my time was up felt so ill
    So 10 yrs down the line when I have a naughty week and drink a few strong cups it starts again, think my meds have something to do with it so now I allow myself a yummy espresso brought up to bed by my kind Hubby before he goes to work and that seems to keep the palpitations at bay
    Saying all that sometimes when turning over in bed it feels like I've left my heart on the wrong side and it feels like it flips back into place maybe it wants to perform in the Olympics :lol:
    I know I'm making a joke about it but it can be scary
    On a serious note we must not forget the signs if its constantly missing a beat or two or racing away with its self we need to get to the GPs and get it checked out I don't want any one to ignore the signs of atrial fibrillation as it can lead to other health issues
    Be healthy and happy
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I get palpitations every now and again and never thought much about it. Come to think of it, I get all sorts of odd things every now and again and never think much about them - what's wrong with me? :?

I have raised BP thanks to the humira so I am on meds for that. Given the general stresses and strains on our bodies thanks to the demands of the disease and the meds it's no wonder that stuff happens that we don't like or cannot easily explain; my rule is that when in doubt don't Wikki, GP. I hope you soon feel easier in yourself, Boomer. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Boomer
    Sorry I wont be much help.like some of the others I do get palpitation now and then...not a clue what causes them..but its mostly when I go to bed...ooh that sounds naughty...dont worry we have been married 44 years tomorrow...so its not that :lol: ....hope you get some answers very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    What, you don't have enough to worry about Anna? :wink: Hopefully it is indeed nothing, can you call your rheumy or do you have to wait for your next scheduled appointment? x
    Toots x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your good-humoured replies. You do make me smile.....

SW, an regular, irregular heartbeat? I'm guessing I'll just have the irregular one, then :lol: I think I get it. I won't worry about it then, unless it stops altogether :D

Maria, that sounded very familiar, your Olympics analogy. It does feel like it's doing flips in there with, pauses :shock: 8 cups of coffee, wow! I cut way back a few years ago so I can't hold that responsible, unfortunately. I do have two, though, delivered by hubby- isn't that a treat?. I don't think it's bad enough for me to give those up, love coffee too much! I guess I'll go complain about it if it gets really persistent; it does make me feel awful, faint, woosy, etc. Thank you for your input.

Barbara, if only it was my husband who was responsible :lol: Somehow living with someone for years and picking up their dirty socks tends to dull that reaction, doesn't it? Shhh..... don't tell Debbie's newly-engaged son....or maybe we should, at least about the picking up of dirty socks part. Nothing more romantic than that!!

Thank you susiesoo, DD and toots for your replies. Seems like it's not so uncommon after all. toots I'm not sure it's a rheum issue, but a GP one :D They usually tell me to quit worrying :lol: .

Debbie, I do have RLS, related to the neuropathy-thingy I have. It never occured to me that it could be related to that. Those neuropathy problems are so mysterious. I never have anyone (doctors) who really wants to delve into my neuropathy issues as nothing has progressed, so far. Maybe the fainting is all tied in too? (don't expect you to answer that :lol: ) What kind of neuropathy does he have? We have hereditary CMT in my family (of course, not clear in my own case what I have :roll: )

xxAnna
  • DebbieT
    Options
    His feet, legs & part of his bladder are involved. He was being treated by neurologists for the severe RLS, they were using Parkinson meds with others mixed in & a combination contraindicated & caused permanent nerve end damage .... That was the end of life as we knew it :(

Due to multiple falls he has damaged hands & wrists. I've simplified this massively!!

xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Boomer,Can't offer any help to you but I am thinking of you and sending hugs.hope your itching settles soon ,drives you mad doesn't it.Mig
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thanks mig, yes, it does. I'm wondering how anyone gets used to it, but I guess us humans can get used to almost anything.

hugs back to you,
    Anna