Scars after THR.

Options
constable
constable Member Posts: 2,115
edited 24. Aug 2013, 14:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind, but this is to all of you who have had a THR. Can you help me. I am over 2 years from having mine now and my scar is horrible. There is a very big indent and is very noticeable. It was never the neatest of scars anyway, but I feel very conscious of it now.

Has anyone else had this problem or am I just being silly. Please put my mind at rest.
Karen xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Did you oil regularly it after your surgery? I was given some Bio-oil after my synovectomies and bought Mr DD some other sort after his appendectomy. He's been using that daily since January and his scar is felxible, soft and neat. It's not too late to start applying an oil - even olive oil will help - the regular, gentle massaging will help to break down any 'nubbiness'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Karen
    I have been told to use baby oil or bio oil on mine when I can bear to touch it...a few more weeks I think...must say mine is neat up to a point..I have the indentation and didnt have drains...so I suppose the hole is left to drain on its own...if you know what I mean.. :? mine is at the top of the scar...so hopefully if I wear a swimsuit it wont be seen....
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello Karen
    I fell over and broke my hip I had it screwed a year later the screws were working loose I had to have them taken out one scar is below the other
    then it was decided I need a thr that was done around the back of my hip.
    so I have 3 scars when I could have had one.
    I think of them as my battle scars.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I was told to use bio oil or baby oil and it seems OK
    Why not try something like that....its never too late

Love
    Hileena
  • constable
    Options
    Sorry I've not replied before now. But just wanted to say thankyou to you. It is much appreciated. I shall try the oils. I know it is only vanity on my behalf. But it does look so ugly.
    Karen xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Mr DD's scar is looking better but where the drain went, well, he was left with a dent (I could fit my little finger into it up to the quick of the nail) which has now reduced to a dimple (now I can't). I don't know if that is down to the oil or not. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • constable
    Options
    Thanks DD, I must admit I do wonder whether it never healed that well because of all the trouble I had after the op. With all the bleeding out etc. With mine the scar is on the bone, the rest of leg sticks out on either side. I can actually hold the back section of my leg before getting to the scar. Not sure if I have explained that very well. But I do intend to put baby oil on from now on.
    Karen xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Karen mines runs down the side of my leg from the side of my bum to half way down my thigh...and at the top is a dent like I said I didn't have a drain..my consultant just leaves a tiny hole to drain on its own.
    I was told yesterday to start using oil..has well as softening the skin it promotes healing of the nerves.xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    constable wrote:
    I do wonder whether it never healed that well because of all the trouble I had after the op. With all the bleeding out etc.

I would doubt that, Karen, because, with my second TKR, the drain failed as soon as I got back to the ward so they just removed it and put a cross-stitch in (without anaesthetic :shock: ) It did stay swollen for longer than the other knee had done but the scars both ended up OK. As for the THR scars - I can't screw my neck far enough round to see them. I've never had a problem with them though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright