ESA

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 23. Aug 2013, 04:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone know how I go about coming off ESA? I plan to return to University in September. I haven't yet phoned them as it costs a fair amount from my mobile so I thought I'd see if anyone on here knew.

After my medical assessment some months ago I was put in the support group, since then my condition has been very variable but better than it was at its worst. For this reason I feel like I should look into possibly getting a part time job while studying and seeing how things go.

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I can't help you there have you looked on the gov website to see what it says
    What will you be studying?
    My daughter is going into her second year doing psychology she has a part time job thats just in holiday time so doesnt affect her studies lickily she has the job for as long as she needs it which is great
    if I was you I'd get settled and sorted into uni life before getting a part time job it could be too much too soon
    Have a great time at uni let us know how you get on in sept
    Maria :)
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi there, its worth knowing that you can do a certain amount of work while on ESA so long as they approve it up to £100 a week. May be worth you doing that to trial if u can cope with work before stopping ur ESA entirely as once off it you would have to apply all over again if u needed to restart.
    U can call them and ask for the form to fill in for the work trial etc and that's exactly what the facility is there for.
    :)
  • As5567
    Options
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi
    I can't help you there have you looked on the gov website to see what it says
    What will you be studying?
    My daughter is going into her second year doing psychology she has a part time job thats just in holiday time so doesnt affect her studies lickily she has the job for as long as she needs it which is great
    if I was you I'd get settled and sorted into uni life before getting a part time job it could be too much too soon
    Have a great time at uni let us know how you get on in sept

I will be studying my 2nd year in Computer Science, I think you're maybe right about too much too soon. My brain sometimes forgets about the ongoing "war" inside my body lol. I guess I'm just really excited to return to university and get back to somewhat of a "normal" life.
  • As5567
    Options
    lizzieuk1 wrote:
    Hi there, its worth knowing that you can do a certain amount of work while on ESA so long as they approve it up to £100 a week. May be worth you doing that to trial if u can cope with work before stopping ur ESA entirely as once off it you would have to apply all over again if u needed to restart.
    U can call them and ask for the form to fill in for the work trial etc and that's exactly what the facility is there for.
    :)

If I was to continue to claim ESA while studying it would only be something like £12 per week due to my student loan. I guess I will try and talk to somebody about my situation, I'm thinking about applying for work placements in Oct which typically last for 9-12 months full time.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Have a great time in Uni
    Hope you enjoy getting into the swing of things again
    Be safe