Carpal Tunnel

Options
MUM1
MUM1 Member Posts: 79
edited 27. Aug 2013, 06:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have OA and have been diagnosed for about 5 years now and meds have progressed from ibuprofen, then 4x2 8/500mg co-codamol and 3x1 diclofenac daily to present day where now on 4x 2 30/500mg solpadol and 3x1 diclofenac with the odd prescription of tramadol during winter if OA is bad. 3 months ago plastic surgeon gave me injections into wrists for carpal tunnel as he said my nerves were badly trapped, my gp has said my OA and carpal tunnel may have worsened due to a hysterectomy last year due to surgical menopause and that the carpal tunnel may be linked to having OA. I recently had an appointment to see the plastic surgeon again and have now been placed on the waiting list, he anticipated about a month but also could I come in at short notice. The injections worked for about 2 months but CT is now returning rapidly, and just confirmed plastic surgeons diagnosis. He has anticipated that I will probably be off work for 2 weeks, I am a full time cleaner ie 40+ hours per week. Has anyone else had surgery for this, and if so what to expect, I am a bit apprehensive as to how painful it will be afterwards and for how long and any tips to aid recovery etc. and also a bit squeamish, will a screen be put up as I know it will be a local anaesthetic being used. Any information or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I've been there and done that, it was last November. I had both done at the same time (to save time) and although it wasn't fun it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be.

They do screen your hand/s from your sight. The initial injection was not very nice but the anaesthetic soon got to work. I couldn't feel what he was doing but there were some odd sensations. People chatted to me all the way through and fed me water when I felt thirsty. The op took about twenty minutes for each hand, I was away from the waiting room for a total of about forty minutes. I was given tea and marmite on toast after - my husband had to feed me though because I was completely out of action. :wink: He also had to do other things for me (for the same reason) for about a fortnight after. :oops:

From my experience you will have to be off work for at least a month - healing takes time and if you go back to work too early you will undo all his good work and make your life more complicated in the long run. My surgeon signed one girl off for three months from her office work even though she only had the one done. I went back to my work after six weeks but it wasn't very easy - and I didn't have a physical job like yours.

People without arthritis get carpal tunnel, it's one of those things that can happen to anyone. I am now nine months post-surgery and all is well, my scars are invisible, my hands are a little weaker but they may well have been anyway 'cos I'm getting older. :wink: I hope you have it done soon and that you are able to take the right amount of time off work - I honestly don't think you will be able to go back after a fortnight, which I may realise could cause you some difficulty, but sometimes the long game has to be played. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MUM1
    Options
    Thank you for your reply DD.I guess the surgeons are a bit economical with the truth when it comes to recovery time after surgery, not great, as I think he said there was no point in giving me another injection, my guess is because it only worked for about 2 months so now my only 2 options are to take time off work having returned to work full time as I had finally felt fit enough after having hysterectomy and that I was coping better with meds for OA, the carpal tunnel was giving me a fair bit of disturbed sleep at nights, one step forward and two steps back seems to be the way, the other option is if I didn't have surgery I am supposing the carpal tunnel will get worse?
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello. I had carpal tunnel in both wrists, had the operation and have not looked back. The surgeon operated on my right wrist which was the worse one and he said it would disappear in the left, which much to my surprise it did. I was back to normal once the stitches came out after a week, but everyone varies. Just take advice from your surgeon and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Janet
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I have had both done pre OA, 21 and 17 years ago. best thing ever, never looked back. unfortunately now I have OA, I am having a trapeziectomy next week but hey...could be worse.
  • MUM1
    Options
    Thank you for your replies everyone. From what I gather I think the surgeon will be doing open hand surgery=longer recovery, I have read that endoscopic surgery can be done resulting in a shorter recovery period with the same results. I had hoped to ask him if the endoscopic surgery would have been an option( I am now on the waiting list , he said about a months time, but could I come in at short notice) , but didn't when he had explained some of the op stating that he would be making a 1-2 inch incision in my hand, I sort of guessed then that it would be open hand surgery I pretty much felt I was having no choice in how it would be done, and maybe he is of the old school and does it the traditional way, I had also explained that I had been off work for 12 weeks last year recovering from a hysterectomy and was advised against returning before that as my job is manual/physically demanding if it was at all possible I would opt to go down the endoscopic surgery route.
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    I have just had tests for Carpal Tunnel and have it in both hands but worse in the right. I have to have the operation and was told healing time is anything from 6 weeks to 3 months.

But suppose it needs to be done - although im not looking forward to it.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello MUM1
    Sorry I cant help , but I just want to add my support and wish you well with this...hopefully your appointment will come through sooner rather than later....good luck xx
    Love
    Barbara