Anybody under 50 with PMR ?

Options
kellis
kellis Bots Posts: 69
edited 28. Aug 2013, 06:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've got RA and am used to the associated achy bits.
However, the last 2/3 weeks I've had increasing pains in the shoulders and muscles in my upper arms - mostly at night. It's getting increasingly worse and has now been joined by the muscles in the backs of my thighs and buttocks! The pain at night is unbearable - even with paracetamol - and I'm sleeping in half hour doses with a lot of tossing and turning in between. I've also got a pain in the rhs jaw/ear.
Getting up in the morning is very difficult, but it eases and my day between midday and bedtime isn't too bad (though lifting my arms is still painful).
My mother in law has PMR and thinks that's what I have, but when googling it it appears to be reserved for the over 60's and occasional over 50's. I'm 46! I'll mention it to my rheumy when I see her this week, but I don't want to go along telling her about my self-diagnosis in case she thinks I'm telling her her own job!
Just wondered if it's another joy of RA, or whether it could be PMR at my tender young age!! :lol:

Comments

• Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kellis
    I'm afraid I can't help at all, but I hate to read and run lol. Hopefully you'll get some more information soon. Hugs in the meantime! x
    Toots x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help on two counts - I'm not under 60 and I've never had PMR.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Best of luck kellis, I'm sorry I can't help you with that but I will be watching to see what you find out. I have similar with PsA and have had for most of three years with no answers. With me, it's not PMR. It's very difficult isn't it?

Nothing really helps mine except complete inactivity, which isn't healthy or practical.

xx(())Anna
    PS. I'm 47
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Commiserations. I know how you feel. My RA started in the exactly the same way that you describe your current symptoms. The GP put me on paracetamol to start with which proved useless. I could not even lift my arm to switch on the bedside light so my wife bought me a touch lamp. I could not bear the weight of bed clothes so she bought me a duvet. The first of many blood tests showed neg. arthritis. In addition to pains in hands and toes all my muscles ached esp, shoulders, thighs, and buttocks. The senior GP got me to the rheumatologist very quickly. When asked to put my hands clasped behind my head he had to lift them for me. The upshot was RA with a polymyalgic onset and not PMR. After three years on methotrexate I am now leading a virtually normal life for a 79 yr old. I still go walking once a week but have cut the distance down to a max of about 6/7 miles. Gardening probably gives me the most aches at the moment which the consultant said was due to my age !