Does anyone know...

Options
Agape
Agape Member Posts: 76
edited 30. Aug 2013, 11:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi to everyone, I was trying to do some research last night and I came across some information, which I am not sure if it's correct. A Dr was lecturing and said that NSAID'S inhibit the growth of collagen and can damage cartilage. Would anyone know if this is true. This Dr showed some studies that had been done and how these drugs did ease symptoms but it actually created more problems in the long term!

There are so many ideas and thoughts out there that I wanted to make sure that I was on the right track.

BTW, does anyone here juice to improve their health?

Thanks for any replies. :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've no idea whether or not it's true, Agape, but I'd be very wary of 'researching' on the net. There's a great deal of misinformation out there unless you stick to recognised sites. I can no longer take NSAIDS because they did for my stomach never mind collagen :roll: but, in the days when I took them, I was very grateful for the help they gave to my arthritis. I don't think there's any such thing as the perfect med. We pays our money and we takes our choice.

My son once bought me a juicer and I never got on with it because I love fruit and veg - all of them, not just the juice :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I don't know about the collagen/NSAID problem. Sounds like something a GP should answer along with discussing pros/cons of any med we are prescribed. I failed NSAID therapy and now take other drugs with nasty side-effects. I take them and know there are side-effects, short-term and long-term, but my QOL is gone now if I don't.

I have a brand new juicer that I've used once because it took me two hours to disassemble and clean it with my useless hands, and, 2 days to recover. I'm like SW, I love the whole fruit or veggie anyway. Get an easy-to-clean juicer is my recommendation if you go that route. I have a good powdered concentrate "greens/veggie" mix to add to shakes/smoothies that seems to do the trick and is much easier.
  • Stigger
    Stigger Member Posts: 72
    Options
    No drug is perfect and over the past few weeks, we've all had to evaluate our drug use following the comments on Diclofenac and Paracetamol, so I can understand your caution.
    I had a look on the web and found that nearly all the sites which mention this link appear to be linked to some form of alternative diet, or product. So perhaps there is an ulterior motive?
    I'm not doubting your concern about these drugs, I'm sure that we all share it after years and years on these products but, imperfect as they are in terms of impact on our general health, there doesn't appear to be any solid evidence for their ability to actually destroy cartilage.
    I'm afraid this seems to be another one of those 'urban myths' which are picked up by those who wish to profit by it and sell us the 'miracle cure'. Please don't worry.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello
    I have read this aswell but you gotta take what you need to get by I guess.I'd rather not think about it.I drink green juices daily .
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Hi, I juice daily. I watched the documentary Fat, sick and nearly dead and it sparked something in me. I have been juicing and eating a plant based diet for about a month now and lost 10kg (1 and a half stone). I needed to loose some weight but mainly wanted to give my body a better chance at fighting Arthur. I figured I put so many drugs in my body I should make an effort to give it as many nutrients as possible. I would say that my energy level has definitely improved with juicing. Also cutting out all the junk can't hurt. Any other juicing stories I was thinking about starting a thread on it but you bet me to it!
  • Agape
    Options
    Hi everyone, thank you so much for your posts. I looked online a few times but it didn't show any replies. I found out this evening that I was looking in the wrong place, so sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.

I appreciate that certain Drs have their own agendas and also note that pharmaceutical companies too have theirs, but totally understand that we do need to sometimes take these meds for a better quality of life.

JUICING: I love to eat fruit and veg as it is, but found with juicing that I would be able to consume much more nutrition if I juiced, I would never be able to eat the amount I drink now. I have one meal a day in the evening and juice for the other two.

Yes, it does take a long time to prepare/cut the veggies and then juice, but I feel that the benefits outweigh the hassles, well, so far anyway.

Thistlegirl: I too watched the movie Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead and this is what inspired me to start juicing. My husband has joined me and we have both lost 16lbs. We both look better for it and I am amazed at the way it helps so many health issues. My husband had gout, and he no longer needs his tablets. I have an auto-immune disease and will be seeing the Rheumy in January, I can't wait to see what my blood results show on my next visit! It will obviously not get rid of my problems, but I am hoping that some results that were not too great last time will have at least improved somewhat.

Once again, sorry for the delay in getting back, take care everyone.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs have to be a better option than the steroids (even though they 'work' so well). Steroids thin everything, not only the inflammation. They thin all body tissues, the bones, the lot. I reckon that's more risky. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Agape
    Options
    Thank you Dreamdaisy, I will definitely keep this in mind if my Rheumy starts to suggest stronger meds.

As I mentioned I am trying to keep myself healthier by juicing, but this will obviously not cure or improve certain issues, I know this. I just want to be the best I can be and if this means changing my diet then so be it, I have resisted for years, but now feel the time has come to take my health seriously. :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Health should always be taken seriously, even when it hasn't 'gone wrong', but it must be so easy to take good health for granted. :) It is best to keep ourselves as well as we can but once arthritis has set in it won't go away. You are doing the right thing and I wish you luck with it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Agape
    Options
    Hi Dreamdaisy

Thank you for your reply. Just commenting on your post. "Once arthritis has set in it won't go away". Would this also mean that you cannot stop it if it wishes to spread or get worse? Just wondering as I don't really know too much about arthritis.

Thank you for any advice.