Anti tnf affect on teeth?

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 2. Sep 2013, 17:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since starting my new treatment with Infliximab I have noticed that my teeth seem to have been very sensitive to hot/cold, I am also experiencing toothache for the first time in my life tonight and have found my first cavity ever. I have always looked after my teeth and up until now have never had any problems.

Has anyone else on any other anti tnf noticed any such side effects?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never done anti-tnfs so no experience there but, if you've had steroids, they can cause osteoporosis so it stands to reason they won't do teeth much good. Why not ask either your dentist or rheumatologist, whichever you see first - presumably, with the cavity, that'll be the dentist :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I cant offer any help. but I do know that a few meds can effect the teeth...I'm with SW I would go and ask your dentist for advice ...thats if you can find one... :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not on Anti TNF but have problems with teeth.

My teeth are weak, the dentist says this is due to having my children wen I was young ... The 1st two took the calcium n enamel whilst I was carrying them!!

My teeth now seem to crumble or snap :( This has been attributed to Methotrexate!! So it wouldn't surprise me at all if ure med is affecting ure teeth but you need to talk to ure dentist, you need treatment for the cavity anyway!

Keeping all dental appointments & having a good relationship with my Dentist has been essential for me as I'm a real chicken. She is fantastic with me. I have fibromyalgia as well as OA & PsA so I'm very sensitized to pain, she uses a numbing cream on me b4 doing anything, even injections :)

The very best of luck.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks all, I didn't think about the effect of the Meth or Steroids on teeth either.
  • listy
    listy Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have 'moderate to severe' periodontal disease which has worsened since I got inflammatory arthritis. I asked my dentist if the Methotrexate and / or Sulfasalazine I take can affect the teeth & her reply was 'all drugs affect the teeth'.
    Having said that I've found that since starting Sulfasalazine my gums definitely feel different - often very cold regardless of what I've eaten - but also possibly more sensitive.
    I don't have any experience of anti tnf so can't comment on that specifically but I reckon that taking care of teeth & gums is even more important if you have a chronic illness and are on medication.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've had rubbish teeth since childhood so haven't noticed any great deterioration in them apart from that caused by the natural process of ageing. I now regularly use toothpicks after eating and inherited a sonic toothbrush from my late Ma - wow, that does make my teeth feel different. (I have used the standard electric ones for years.) They are sensitive to hot and cold so the moral of that is not to eat anything too hot (temp wise) or too cold, so I let my dinners cool and my ices warm. DD

PS Hello listy, it's nice to meet you.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • listy
    listy Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello DreamDaisy, nice to meet you too! Sorry all, so wrapped up in trying to sort a few things out at the moment before going on holiday that I just posted without introducing myself much. (Though I have been on here a while back so I should say 're-introducing').