Getting leather boots from NHS?

Options
sailrib
sailrib Member Posts: 327
edited 26. Aug 2013, 14:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
What are the rules to getting footwear from the NHS?

I have super wide feet, I wear a EEEEEEEE width before swelling and putting my orthotics in. I also have size 9 feet. I also have to have soles that are rugger end due to my midfoot arthritis.

Now I've had my tripe fusion and I got my cast off, I'm also getting a huge amount of swelling which I've been told will stay with my for a min of a year.

I've always struggled to get boots that actually fit my orthotics anyway but now I just can't find anything. Shoes are a no no, as even shoes that say you can take the inner soles out for insertion of orthotics are not deep enough.

I'm at an end to know where to get shoes from.

My feet are not deformed and are very wide but also very flat, I don't have any height to my feet

Anyone got any experience on getting shoes from shops or the NHS?

I'm wearing slippers at the moment.

I found Wider Fit shoes before my operation but none of their shoes or boots work for me.

I've got an appointment with orthotics on Friday and was going to ask them but they'll properly say, just get wider shoes.

I tried some men's size 10 walking boots and shoes the other day and there wasn't enough room in them for my width and swelling.

I know I've just gabbled on but I just don't know where else to look.

What I would love, is leather boots with laces that go closer to the toes, rugged soles with lots of toe room, space for orthotics and for them to be in my width.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can only tell you what I know from personal experience, sailrib.

I've had surgical shoes (ie made to measure by orthotics) for the last 40-50 years. I can't walk in any others as I need flares all over the place to help me balance. In fact I can't even get into most as my ankles are fused.

It was my rheumatologist who first sent me for them but now it's just automatic. You used to be allowed two pairs every two years but now you only get a new pair when the old ones are no longer able to support your feet properly. I know, when I used to see my old orthotist at his premises (It was a different system then - and a far better one to my mind) I'd sometimes see people who needed boots rather than shoes. Those with CP come to mind. So I'm sure they do them.

Your problem might lie in persuading someone you need them. Nowadays orthotic insoles are infinitely better than they used to be and I know someone who does get her shoes on prescription but they are not made to measure. Apparently, now they have a selection of shoes which will help many people who shouldn't/can't be wearing normal shop-bought ones.

I think your first port of call should be the orthotist. I suspect he'll need someone else to write the prescription - probably your rheumatologist or orthopaedic surgeon - but at least you'll be on your way. It's not a speedy process though. I can be toing and froing before they get mine right.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi sailrib

I have had both ankles fused first in 2001 & left foot in 2009 , I always wear the same shoes because its the only ones that fit my feet , they are Hush Puppies but with soft leather , after they expanded enought can then put insoles in , Clarkes do wide fitting but always find thier soles hard & can cause plantar fasciitis

one thing I would recommend is a V3 Circulation Booster , realy helps with the pain & helps with the swelling , 12 years later my ankles still swells up the same it can cause other compications so be careful & have fun with your airboot for next few months