quality of folic acid supplements for methotrexate users.

Options
Boomer13
Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
edited 27. Aug 2013, 11:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Dear arthritic friends;
Has anyone found their folic acid supplement to be variable between brands?

I recently switched to what I thought was a brand of comparable quality to the one I usually use. My side-effects, ie fatigue and nausea, have been worsening week by week now so I'm going back to my old brand to see if the change is responsible.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Also, if anyone has tried prescription folinic acid and found it helped? I've heard this activated form of prescription supplement is beneficial for some.

Would go on injectable mtx but it hasn't been offered yet.... :(
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can't really help, Anna. I take two F.A. tabs per week and always have done regardless of the meth dosage fluctuating. I've never had any problems though the F.A. supplier does vary. I thought that, to be of pharmaceutical quality - as opposed to what one can buy from health food suppliers - they had to be of a certain standard, in the UK anyway.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Sticky, sorry if I'm thick, but does that means you take the prescription ones? I know they have to meet standards. I was only ever told to get the health food store ones, ie of the shelf. I don't think these have to meet any standard, which is why I think I'm experiencing variable quality. Maybe I should be taking the prescription variety?

Of course, it could still all be due to autoimmune disease-weirdness. Trying to the mental health these days again!
    :) Anna
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    My F.A. is prescribed by my GP (as directed by my rheumatologist) and I pick it up from the pharmacist just like all my other meds. I thought it was the same for everyone.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thank you sticky! I'm off to get a prescription version! I was just waved in the general direction of the supplements isle and told 'to get one'.

:o And I thought this was the case for everyone :?
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    the ones you buy over the counter are not strong enough , you need get them on prescription from your GP/Consultant . the 400 µg over the counter you would need to take 12 to make the same strength that we take for one 5mg tablet & myself take six 5mg tabs a week , it varies the amount but its always 5mg
  • Boomer13
    Options
    And why must I learn these important things from my fellow patients (sigh). I've been to the doc at least three times complaining about nausea, etc, etc. I guess it was a small detail that was missed.

So glad I asked, thanks! Made an appt. for tomorrow to get a prescription.

So it is true, there are no stupid questions!

Love the forum, many thanks.
    Anna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that you don't live in the UK? The stuff that I have on prescription is so much stronger than what one can buy over the counter. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Options
    That's right DD. It's the same here; prescription FA is the activated form, folinic acid, so is absorbed more efficiently.

I mistakenly thought it was for those folks who take methotrexate at the high doses for the C-type diseases. It had been on my original prescription for methotrexate from the rheum but when I had it filled the pharmacy waved me to the otc isle. I didn't think to question..... :( I'll admit to being in horrible shape around that time.

I think maybe this has something to do with the palpitations problem I've been having not to mention the other side-effects. :(

It does make me a little excited that there may be an easy solution to how horrid I've been feeling in spite of the pain being a little better lately. I was set to blame all on nasty prednisone. I'll find out this week. A reminder that we (especially me :? ) should double check everything so things don't get missed.

xAnna
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Oh blimey Anna :shock: It's no wonder uve had bad nausea etc hun!!

I ran out of FA once & rang the pharmacy to ask if I could use the pregnancy ones ... A resounding NO WAY was the answer, they are nowhere near strong enough!!

You poor thing, I'd kick that pharmacists butt ... Well I probably couldn't with my hip at the mo :lol: You get the idea tho ;)

DD asked where ure from ... Am I right in saying Canada?

Good luck getting the correct f a :) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Hi Debbie;
    Yes, in Canada. Hopefully no one here minds.....I do feel at home here, the forum, that is. Sad (or happily, I don't know) to say our forum here is devoid of users....

Well, I've been taking mtx for 7 months. So, 7 months of extra-misery for the already miserable. All from someone's two minutes of carelessness. I would like to kick their b*t#, but I won't. I'll go back and be my usual nice self (smallish rant over). It is a smallish town so maybe they lack experience? Still......

I might have a polite word with the head pharmacist though, so it maybe doesn't happen to someone else.