Link between RA/inflammatory arthritis and OA

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 27. Aug 2013, 14:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I posted this on the helpline forum but wanted a range of views too, please.

I've been pondering on this a while but have not really got any closer to the shedding any light on the matter. I wondered if there was a link between RA (and other types of inflammatory arthritis) and OA. I say this because I've noticed several people say they have OA as a result of RA.

I had MRI scans a year ago and the radiologist wrote that I have secondary OA in my ankles (in addition to active RA inflammation in my feet); I previously had lots of inflammation in my ankles (confirmed by a radioactive isotope scan). I asked if the apparent 'OA' was as a result of RA and my rheumy said "probably". I googled and sure enough, it told me that the causes of secondary OA include RA. However, someone on the NRAS helpline says that OA damage and RA damage appears differently on x-ray and MRI and a further google appears this be true. So, I'm still none the wiser....!

Am I right in saying that RA/inflammatory arthritis can cause erosions that look like RA but it can also cause osteoarthritis-like joint damage?

I hope this is clear, please let me know if it's just my usual jumble of words. :lol:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've always understood, possibly completely erroneously :oops: , that, when the RA has done its worst with the synovial fluid and there is none left, then OA can move in on the cartilage and finish it off. However, RA has already had a go at the cartilage and ligaments too. Luckily this is more and more rare thanks to DMARDS and anti-tnfs.

P.S. I meant to add this link which explains a lot but still leaves me flummoxed :wink:http://www.nras.org.uk/about_rheumatoid_arthritis/what_is_ra/what_is_ra.aspx
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    My understanding is similar to SW's.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    I thought damage from inflammatory arthritis was different from osteo. Very confusing. I'd like to know the answer to this to.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Inflammatory damage is different in nature to an osteo damage - I have my osteo thanks to the damage caused by my PsA, I think for me it was caused by walking badly and the damage feels different, the pain is different and it's all horrid. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I have OA in the knees which is from poor walking/posture as a result of RA which is such a kick in the teeth.

I think OA is brushed under the carpet a lot too as "wear and tear related to getting older" which is often just not true.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That way of thinking is changing but it was a 'useful' way to explain the appearance of OA as opposed to the other sorts. OA can strike one at any age, it could be the result of accident or injury or other health conditions (there's a new lass called tillyroo who has been told she's too young (aged 22) for OA but I don't think that is the case). I am not, however, a doctor. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    It's so weird because I had bad damage to cartilage in both my knees from an accident in 1994. I was told I would have extreme OA in my knees and likely need a walker/canes by the time I was in my 40's. I carried on with all my athletic pursuits, work, etc. with a little knee pain/grinding/clicking I was not particularly easy on my body, until PsA kicked in and flattened me.

Instead in my 40's I have PsA with OA that is severe in hips, ankles, neck, etc, etc but, comparatively speaking, my knees aren't too bad; the damage from the accident was able to heal to some extent. Why? Yet someone in their 20's gets OA seemingly for no reason.

These are strange things, these arthritides.
    A.