Flare Ups

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 2. Sep 2013, 15:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone tell me how long flare ups can last,I know every individual is different,I have had constant swelling and pain in my hands and wrists now for about a month normally it's manageable but it's now starting to keep me awake at nite too.The pain killers help sometimes a bit but not enough,I am unsure if my Methotrexate is fully working as normally I get pain but would last a couple days maybe then move on but this time it doesn't want to budge,I am still getting a lot of mouth ulcers too sometimes 3 at a time.I am not due back to Rheumatology till October but it's now got so bad I have left a message for a call back,hopefully I will hear tomorrow and hope they don't brush me off like they do at times.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If I remember rightly you've not been on meth for very long. I think you've done the right thing in contacting the helpline. I hope you don't have long to wait for an answer but I doubt they'll have been working over the holiday so they'll probably have a backlog of calls to deal with tomorrow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    I have been on meth since the beginning of Feb this year so around 7 months now,I would of thought I would of seen some improvement by now I just feel its deteriorating or maybe I've just been lucky before and not had too much trouble with it compared to many on here.I think I was one of the lucky ones who got an early diagnosis and maybe now its starting to develop more.Either way hopefully Rheumatology can help as I only normally call them as a last resort as I always try to cope with it as long as possible.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Seven months probably seems a long time if you feel the meth isn't working well but, in terms of getting it stabilised, it's probably still early days. You might need a higher dose. They often start low then build up as long as it's tolerated.

I think the only people who can sort it out are rheumatology and it's just a matter of whether you call them or sit it out until your next appointment. I know we do often tell people on here to ring their rheumatology helpline, largely because we are inadequate to deal with medical matters but I hope we don't give the impression that we should do it regularly. In about 13 years of meth I've only rung mine twice.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    I also don't like to ring them if I am able to sit out and I have never got the impression from others that I should be ringing them often as I prefer not to.I was on the higher dose and have been reduced down to 6 a week as I was having bad problems with the mouth ulcers which is still on going I will see what they say and hope it improves soon.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I hope it does too. Good luck!
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Shandy sorry I wont be much help..but I hope things improve for you very soon...it must seem forever .....but like SW says its not that long to be on the Meth....sending some very gentle hugs ((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have never known meth to remove pain but maybe I am one of the unlucky ones on that front. These meds can take time to get into one's system and there can be a period of trial-and-error where other meds may be introduced or taken away. That leaves us, the patient, feeling rough and irritated that nothing seems to be improving as fast as we would wish.

A flare is a very different sensation to continual pain - my feeling is that maybe you are not taking a sufficient quantity of meth to help matters - what strength are your tablets? If the mouth ulcers are a recurring problem then it may be time to try another med. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I just wondered how you are & did ure rheumy dept get in touch with you?

I understand wot you mean about the pain ... Mtx dampens down the disease (wen it's working) so wen it's controlled the pain is of course lessened ... Wen we're off of mtx or the dose isn't high enough to help then the disease can rampage throughout our bodies & the pain swiftly follows!! Well thats how it's been for me. Although I do constantly have pain it's been much, much, much worse.

I do hope they got in touch & were able to help you. (((hugs))) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Hello Rheummy rang on Tuesday and was gonna speak to the doctor well they rang back again today and have booked me in for Thursday for a Steroid Injection.They also mentioned about increasing my Meth which I don't want as it was decreased before as I was getting to many mouth ulcers which seem to last about a month.I still get them so I will have to discuss this with them about what else would be best as increasing would make it worse.Thank-you for asking :)
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Hope things get easier soon - if my knees are really bad that I cant stand hardly they usually calm down after a week or 2, just doing something not strainious for too long can kick things off its awful.

Sorry your going through a bad time at the moment its not nice and not being able to sleep well either is not good.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • destiny0321
    destiny0321 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    hi all. I have been on methrotextrate for quite a few yrs now but i do not think they are working very much at mo. on 5 tablets on sunday & 5 tablets on monday flare ups can last with me from weeks to months.
    I have had an infection in my left knee for months now my left knee is always the problem, 2 knee replacements same knee,compartment syndrome, diabetes so had a toe removed.i have psoratic arthritis & oseo arthritis. hope everyone well
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ye gods, destiny0321,you poor thing, that sounds proper rough and I am sorry. Has anyone ever suggested that you stop the immuno-suppressants until you have properly healed? My hospital takes that approach - I have a couple of insect bites that are now a month old so I think I'll be letting them know that I'm dropping the meds so they can heal - it's costing me a bomb in plasters. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That does sound a lot to be dealing with. How are they treating your knee? Is it septic arthritis? It sounds very painful.
    Steven Wright