Remploy.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 30. Aug 2013, 15:07 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have just heard on the news that another Remploy factory is to close at the loss of 250 jobs, a fair few of which are done by disabled workers. Remploy have a good history of employing the disabled - I don't know its recent history of management but, if it is in trouble, then surely the government should be bailing it out (given their stress on getting people like us into work) rather than wasting money in the various ways that it does. Where is the logic? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I must admit, I haven't heard of Remploy. But it is such a terrible shame they are going. And regarding the Government, is there ever any logic in what they do.
    Karen xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    You can feel the heartache coming from the factory, lives changed forever, no more security but that is politics for you. Another good cause being thrown on the scrapeheap for a few right of centre votes.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    We have one nearby ...the workers were at the gate with placards..but to no avail...most of the workforce were disabled..like you say it doesn't make sense when they are trying to get people back to work :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Oh dear
    This is so sad
    What are the government playing at! They are wanting to get us off their disability list so to speak get us all off ESA and back to work
    Then this happens to Remploy employees should they be stepping in and helping and maybe developing the co pantry further so more people with disabilities are able to work!
    Total madness on the government side but why am I not surprised
    Maria :x
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    On a personal level this is just so sad. I knew people who worked at the Whitehaven Remploy for many years, they were happy it gave them a sense of purpose and made them feel useful, these people were profoundly 'less able' Remploy helped to make them feel 'safe' when it closed the people who had felt safe and secure all their lives were left with nothing to replace it, it was very sad to see the effect it had on some families.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hello DD
    I hope you are as well as can be.yes I've heard of remploy that's a shame
    the government do things and they don't think about what they are doing.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I have spent many happy hours at our 'localest' remploy here.

Most of the people who worked there were definitely as Lulu puts it 'less-able', but the work was meaningful and satisfying and the laughs we had :? The self-worth and friendships we all get from work - gone! I can't realy believe it.

I have felt really sad about the closures. :(

love

Toni xxx