Psoriasis

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 1. Sep 2013, 16:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone

I just wanted to have a whine really. I said a while ago I am fairly certain that I have psoriasis as my foot and toenails were quite badly affected. I am waiting for my follow up at the rheumatologist in Nov but in the meantime I have made an apt with my GP (4 week wait, would you believe?) That is just ess than 2 weeks away now. For the past couple of weeks my scalp has been really really itchy, driving me mad. The rheumy asked me if I suffered from an itchy scalp and at the time I didn't, isn't that just the way! I've checked for nits :o etc but my head is clear. My ears are also really itchy and have a lot of flakes of skin falling out. And now today I have noticed I have 2 large patches of smooth red shiny rash in my groin, both sides. I have had this a few times before. It looks very much like inverse psoriasis, is really sore and itchy as it is where my knicker elastic is. I am even more convinced now that I have PsA, but I have to wait til 10th (I think) to see GP. I also get the same rash that I have in the groin in my armpits sometimes. I think I have just ignored psoriasis for years!

Aaarrgghhhh....this waiting (and itching) is driving me nuts, not to mention the pain.

Hope the cooler weather is being a bit kinder to you all.

x

Comments

• phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi ouchpotato,

Sorry you're so itchy and sorry I can't be of much use here! Although I have psoriatic arthritis I'm pretty much free of rashes except on my scalp, which I treat successfully with V0sene, original shampoo. I had a bit of a flare during my childhood, for which my doctor prescribed Alphosyl, but there might be a few things available OTC. Perhaps you could have a chat with a pharmacist, if there's no possibility of bringing forward your appointment.

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • destiny0321
    destiny0321 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    hi hope you get sorted out soon, i have psoratic arthritis luckily i only
    have psorasis of the scalp had this & osteo for 30yrs now.
    i am new on here good luck
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Poor you Ouchpotato

It sounds as though you are suffering a lot just now :(

I do hope you can hang on in there until you see your doc and that he/she can help and maybe even refer you to a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis.

Love

Toni xx
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi Ouchpotato,

I started to reply the day you posted but things my end are very tense & sad at the moment & I'm afraid life got in the way ... Still I'm attempting a reply again & hoping for success this time.

I'm in a flare of PsA & psoriasis at the moment as I've had to come off of my mtx for a few months. My scalp is covered, its gross :? I too have inverse in my groin creases & it's painful coz the skin is so thin!! :( Plaque is the main type I have but I have nail involvement & guttate too. No pustular at present, PHEW :D

For the itching I'm prescribed a 24 hour antihistamine but I can also add in a 4 hourly one that I'm prescribed so I'd suggest asking ure GP for advice regarding that.

I really hope ure offered a Dermatology referral or can push for one if the Dr isn't keen. It's important to get a clear diagnosis for ure skin regardless of the arthritis as you need treatments etc U may start to notice a correlation between ure skin flaring & you being under emotional stress, many psoriasis sufferers have a trigger response to stress my personal trigger is infection, stress doesn't effect my skin which is very lucky!!

I wish you well.xx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x