Neck pain flare up and haven't done anything

Options
justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 1. Sep 2013, 15:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
The other night I could feel my neck starting to go really stiff now this morning its quite bad with pain going into my shoulders when I move it.

I got myself in front of the mirror to see what the range of movement was and it wasn't good but i noticed that if I turn by neck on a tilt it to the side that it moves a bit more on turning but if I keep my head straight (looking into the mirror) I can hardly move it and the pain shoots down my back and radiates into my shoulders.

I am awaiting physio as my consultant did x-rays and it revealed that fusion of in my neck had got what he wrote as "progresivilly worse" whatever that means but nothing to be concerned about.

I can hardly move my neck and I know physio is going to be painful, I am now finding that I have to turn my upper body just to look at someone - Nightmare. Dame bones.

Just thought id share - Hope all is well with everyone :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If things are fusing in your neck then whether you have done anything or not is immaterial - it will naturally be stiffening and thus losing its range of movement. I am no expert on things but it makes sense to me to keep things as flexible as possible to preserve what you have for as long as you can have it but I think you will need the guidance of a physio on what should and should not be done. I occasionally have to turn my upper body to look at things to one side or the other - and reversing the car onto the drive is becoming increasingly difficult because I cannot turn too well, but as arthritis is a progressive and degenerative condition that is not suprising. :wink:

I think a good general rule of thumb is 'if it hurts don't do it' so be wary of pushing things too far - wait until you see the physio and I hope they will be able to help. I hope things ease soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    The physio may well be able to help you. I had lost my range of motion in my neck and had terrible muscle spasms. I had acupuncture and was given exercises. I now have more movement in my neck and I continue to do the exercises. I do get flare ups, but it has improved.

Obviously we are all different, but I just wanted to share some encouragement. Physio can be really good for your neck. They offer good tips also.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I hope the physio helps and I think it will. Just a word of caution. I believe we with RA are not supposed to do neck exercises except as directed by a physio. It's ages since I saw one and I still do mine daily so I guess it's a case of do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do but it might be best to wait. Have you tried a memory foam shaped pillow? I take mine everywhere and get bad headaches if I don't.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I know this Arthur thing certainly likes to stay around more with age lol I will wait to see the physio but it is feeling really stiff and sore maybe just a bad period and may improve soon - hopefully.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Justin

I do really hope that the physio can help you.

Suzy's story should give you hope of some improvement.

Take care

Toni xx