Jury Service.

Options
crabtree123
crabtree123 Bots Posts: 31
edited 14. Sep 2013, 11:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been called up for jury service next month, and I am dreading it. I read on the form that this can a duration of 2 weeks. I have rheumatoid arthritis, and am dreading sitting still hour after hour, due to the pain and discomfort. I filled out the initial form, ticking the box about my condition, as they ask about any disabilities and have returned it. So should hear back shortly. I would normally love it. Any Advice ? Crabtree123.

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Your GP can write a note confirming any disabilities which can then excuse you from jury service if needed .
    Jillyb
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    you can phone them up & tell them your problems & sure they will let you off service , may need GP note , but it is well worth doing & you will find it very interesting , mostly boring & sat around waiting but it wont be every day , maybe a few days
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I used to be a jury summoning officer many moons ago. If I received a form back saying someone had something like RA, I would confirm they didn't need to attend. I can't say your summoning officer would do the same though. A doctor's note would definitely help. They always invite more people than they need to allow for people who can't attend, for people who are connected in any way to the accused (as they cannot be jurors on that case) and in case there are a lot of short cases. You could be there the whole time and not get on a case or you could get a short or long case. They are usually interesting but not always.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    What a shame Crabtree as you'd have loved tis in normal circumstances.

Hopefully they will 'let you off' as Christine (applerose would have done), but if not a GP or Rheumatologist letter should do the trick

Love

Toni xx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,

my partner has ME and was called for jury service some years ago. We filled in the form (I think there was a section where you could say if due to health you couldn't go) and I explained how much help he'd need, the rests he'd need (and frequency of same), etc. Needless to say, he had a medical excemption applied. He is now over 70 so wouldn't be called now in any event.

If I was called (I have OA in several joints) I'd explain my health situation, the help I'd need, the rests I'd need and I'd ask for a medical excemption.

I do not see any reason why, if you tell them the truth of your condition and your restrictions/issues/needs (however you want to describe them) that they should insist on you doing the service.

Your GP may charge for such a letter but it's worth asking. Nothing ventured and all that ! ...

Good luck
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    I would love to do jury service my husband did a number of years ago
    I'm thinking now I'd be useless as I can't sit still for long enough plus my concentration is not what it was and I tend to drift off so would be useless
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I would also love to do jury service don't think they want me..its a very interesting question...I don't think I could sit still for 5mins never mind 2 weeks..let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara