New to degenerative osteoarthritis - stressed out 41 yr old

Options
georgethegreek
georgethegreek Member Posts: 3
edited 4. Sep 2013, 17:13 in Say Hello Archive
Hi All

Have been reading lots of your posts and it is nice to see how many people are in similar positions to where I find myself and how positive it all seems.

My story is I am a 41 year old who up until about 3 months ago played football twice a week and runs regularly. I did the Liverpool half marathon and the great north run this year and was looking forward to bettering my times next year. I snowboard twice a year and have a New Years holiday in Austria all booked.

A few months ago I had a groin injury and received physio which helped loads but at the same time I started to feel pain deep in my hip which the physio could not cure. I saw a consultant who sent me for an MRI and the results showed " features of early degenerative osteoarthritis with lateral osteophyte formation and early chondrosis of the femoral head" :shock:

After a short discussion with the consultant I was sent on my way. To be honest I can't remember half of what he said as I was so scared of the long technical words he used in particular the OSTEOARTHRITIS one!

I have just come back from a nice holiday and feel more positive about it all especially after reading some of the articles on here.

What I basically am after is some advice. I still have some pain around the area but want to know if it will improve if I lay off the sport for a while? I am now taking glucosamine once a day as he has recommended but does this simply slow down the illness or can it improve the current symptoms?

I want to be able to get back to my sports (but recognise that fact that I have to slow down and not go in 100%) but am very scared that I won't ever be able to kick a ball or ride on a snowboard again.

Has anyone out there got any similar experience - or any advice/feedback? I am both anxious and worried whenever I start to think too far ahead.

Look forward to any comments guys and thanks for listening. :wink:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello georgethegreek. That's a very steep learning curve, isn't it? I have a son your age and I know how devastated he would be if he was unable to play sport regularly.

The consultant has diagnosed you with OA and that is, basically, what they do unless surgery is required. Your GP will look after you from now on.

Glucosamine? It tends to polarise people. It certainly wouldn't help me but my husband has very mild knee and hip pain and it does enable him to keep playing golf twice a week - and often go to the gym on other days.

Exercise is good for OA (Have a look at the AC booklet on Healthy Living) but high impact exercise isn't. Swimming and cycling, being non-weight-bearing, are very good but I'm not too sure about your preferred sports. Maybe you should get as fit as possible first then, when you're feeling better, ask your physio or GP for advice.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • georgethegreek
    georgethegreek Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello Stickywicket

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post and thanks for the advice.

The pain I experience in my hip changes frequently, some days are worst than others. Some days I feel it has gone completely which makes me feel really positive, but then the next day I wake up and it is back. It is really hard to describe as it is more of a throbbing than an actual pain if you know what I mean?

Does your husband tend to find that the symptoms he suffers with come and go? If you don't mind me asking how long has he suffered with this for? I have a 6 year old and 5 year old and I want to be able to kick a ball with them for quite a while to come and the thought of this just getting steadily worse fills me with dread. At least if I thought the symptoms could improve if I do the right thing this would help considerably. Dose the fact that I have this in my hip mean that other joints will go the same way too and if so how quickly? Sorry to bombard you with questions and I take it you are not a healthcare expert but I just feel a bit lost and any advice or words of wisdom would be most welcome.

On the back of your advice I have made an appointment to see my GP on Friday so I can hopefully get some answers there.

Many thanks again for listening.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    It's good that you're going to take your questions to your GP as he's best equipped to answer them. It might help to write them down so that you don't forget any. And it can also help to take someone with you as an extra pair of ears to listen to the answers.

I think what you are really looking for is some assurance that this won't get rapidly worse or spread to other joints.Unfortunately I don't think anyone can give you such assurance as there is no set pattern or time range. You will possibly maximise your chances by eating healthily and exercising sensibly but there are no guarantees. For what it's worth my husband has had what he regards as 'not proper OA' for about six years. It comes and goes. Mine, however, arrived as a result of years of RA. I've had joints replaced, all successfully. I still play with my grandsons just more gently and carefully :wink: Where there's a will there's a way.

I hope you get some helpful answers from your GP. Best of luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright