new diagnosis

Options
saskia
saskia Member Posts: 3
Ive been offered a hip replacement today at a consultants appt which has come as a shock since I have had several years of pain/physio etc etc with no mention or indication of the severity of the hip problem. todays x ray showed evidence of Osteoarthritis in the joint although previously I had been told from a blood test that I did not have arthritis. Dont know where to start to find out about this. I have also had symptoms of chronic fatigue for a year or so and wonder if this could be linked. Any suggestions of how to start my research and make the decision about whether to have the hip replacement would be welcome. I am 55 and up until a couple of years ago was very active. Should I continue with Pilates/yoga? Will not having the replacement put a strain on my whole muscoskeletal frame? I now walk with a limp.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Saskia

Thank you for your posting on the forum and my apologies for the delay in replying. It is often a shock to be told that a replacement is being considered, particularly as you were not expecting it and it can be helpful to find out as much as you can so that you can make an informed decision. There is information about hip replacements on the link http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery.aspx
    This is general information and sometimes it helps to make a list of specific questions as you think of them that you can speak to your consultant about. Though exercise is generally beneficial for osteoarthritis you should ask your consultant, your physio or GP your question about continuing with your exercise. I would like to encourage you can call us here on the helpline so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. This is a freephone helpline on 0808 800 4050 (10am – 4pm weekdays). Osteoarthritis is not diagnosed using blood tests. These may have been done to eliminate other conditions. You can read more about osteoarthritis and managing the condition in our booklets on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets
    I hope that this is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn