Desperate Times.

scotty70
scotty70 Member Posts: 2
:( Hi..I have OA in my lower spine which has gradually got worse over the years,and have missed many days off sick from work due to it,and lost pay etc.. I am having physio once a fortnight for it,and take CoCodamol and a gel on prescription..
My jobs have all been Manual/Labouring work since leaving school,i am now in my 40s. I now find I cannot find a job that dosent involve a lot of bending and lifting or standing up in 1 place for too long as this really aggrevates my back. Even going for walks on uneven ground I have to stop and stretch my lower back as its uncomfortable. Any ideas if or what I can do. At the moment I don't claim any Benefits and am living on a budget,but suffering with depression too.. How does one get around the job situation as I would rather work than be made to feel like a scrounger by the state...
Thank You..X

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello scotty70. No wonder you're suffering from depression. Relentless, daily pain does grind us down and when you have the additional worry about your work you must also be stressed which doesn't help at all.

I can only suggest that you look at Arthritis Care's booklet Working With Arthritis http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Publica ... et2013.pdf and maybe give our Helpline people a ring on the freephone. I wish you every success.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi Scotty,
    Just wondered how you are getting on
    I think with our conditions depression goes hand in hand as its a progressive,debilitating condition and does smack us in the face every now and again
    I know what you mean about not being able to do a physical job as mine was physical and I struggled with mine for 4 years before realising enough was enough and went down the ill health route and luckily I did manage to get it so at age of 49 I was retired
    I wondered if you could find some courses that allow you to retrain I know that's easier said than done and don't know what career path I would have taken
    Best wishes
    Maria
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Hi Scotty how long has this been going on for and how effective or none effective are our pain meds when its bad?, oh and do you ever get a sickly creeping pain that gives you high levels of nausea when its bad?.

Regards

Mell