Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Who else is having problems claiming for benefits

mills20061970mills20061970 Posts: 21
I have Ostearthritis of the knee have been told it has spread to my ankle and my hips and is spreading toward my left leg. who having problems claiming the benefit that we should be ok to get .
I have been turn down 3 time for DLA , last time i apply for it was a year ago.
I since try to apply for the new PIP and have been told there a 10 week waiting list and i have inform Atos i will need a home assessment as i am in constast pain 24hrs a day . and yes they do home assessments as they have done 2 for me already for my Industrail Injuries Disablement Benefit . the last one i had was only last sunday . waiting on response from D.W.P
but who having headache trying to claim the benefit we should be getting .


  • maria09maria09 Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've just returned from an ESA tribunal will get the outcome in the post
    Maria :x
  • helpline_teamhelpline_team Posts: 1,923
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear mills20061970

    Thank you for your posting on the forum and I must apologise for the delay in responding. I am sorry that you have had such a frustrating time in trying to claim these benefits. You could contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for support in claiming benefits. Their website is on the link http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    You can also contact the organisation DIALUK who are an independent network of local disability information and advice services run by and for disabled people. Their website address is http://www.scope.org.uk/dial and their helpline number is 01302 310123. We also have a lot of information in our booklets about managing arthritis that you can download from our website. The link for this is http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets
    The booklets ‘Coping with pain’ and ‘Living with osteoarthritis’ may be particularly helpful to you. You can also call us here on the helpline on 0808 800 4050 (10am – 4pm weekdays) if you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team.
    I hope this information is helpful.

    Best Wishes
  • brandy192brandy192 Posts: 73
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00

    I have just been to my local DIAL office for some help with PIP form. It took almost 2 hours to complete due to alot of the questions not relevant.{I have OA in both knees} didnt feel the questions on the form did me any favours in explaining my difficulties. Not sure what the outcome will be. I found the advisor at DIAL fantastic she explained all the questions in detail cant thank her enough.
  • maria09maria09 Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mills
    I failed my ESA tribunal Grrr
    I hope you have better luck this time with the evil DWP
  • Chloe2014Chloe2014 Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've had RA for 16 years now, along with bursitis, and plantar faciitius and was told by a young woman who was completely inexperienced that I would be ok to work in three months!!!! I failed the ESA assessment at atos and am now being forced by the job centre to get off JSA and start to work 16+ hours a week. There are so many people that are conning the benefit system and getting away with it, and there are so many others that are genuinely in pain and are struggling every day.
  • helpline_teamhelpline_team Posts: 1,923
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Chloe,

    Thank you for your post to Helplines. I must apologise for the delay in replying to you, but we've been very short staffed in Helplines and your post must have been overlooked - I'm so sorry.

    If you'd like some support about the emotional side of your benefits problems then you'd be most welcome to ring us at Helplines. But we are not welfare rights advisors, so we'd always signpost to organisations that deal with welfare rights. So do make an appointment with your local CAB, or DIAL http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/local-advice , or have a look at the website of http://www.turn2us.org.uk/.

    I hope that's helpful

Sign In or Register to comment.