Who's got cable broadband

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 19. Sep 2013, 13:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
O2 Broadband have sold out to Sky, so I've joined Virgin Cable Broadband. I didn't want to give Rupert any of my dosh.
I know a few on here live in the sticks, but has anyone got it, and what are the speeds like. ( by the way I was happy enough on o2).

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Alun I have had cable broadband for quite a few years now in fact I have cable everything and have had very few problems over the years. I find the broadband speed pretty quick, good luck hope you get as good a service as I have had.........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Marie
    Do you live in a big City or in the sticks. My next door neighbour is getting over 20 meg, and we only live in a Nth Manchester suburb town. I was getting only 7 on o2, but at least it was reliable. I'm hoping to get around 20-25, and no crackle through the telephone lines anymore. B.T. have been getting away with murder for donkey's years now. End of the month connection, so I'll let you know. Alanthemanc
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We've been urban 'Virgins' for many years now and have not one single complaint about the speed or reliability. We use it only for broadband and the 'phone, not the TV. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Sadly Alan

we haven't got cable yet here :(

love

Toni xxx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Alan I live outside Glasgow, I am afraid I am not a technical person and don't know what the speed is. My phone line is always pretty clear even from a cordless to cordless phone. I have just got a sim for my mobile from Virgin with a very good deal as I am an existing customer, I am pretty sure you wil not be disappointed..........enjoy........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Round here BT is busy upgrading to superfast broadband which is totally irrelevant to me as my PC is old and clunky - sounds familiar doesn't it? - and so even if I sign my life(and bank balance) over to them it wouldn't improve anything, in fact it would probably kill the old dear.What I have noticed since they started furtling around is that one of my phones no longer works properly and the other has a lot of clicks and bips on it at times. Purely coincidence the engineers would doubtless say....
  • elmanc
    elmanc Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Alan,
    I guess by the manc im in your area. I have virgin media broadband 60mb which is fine. There are lots of variables though like how many are accessing a certain website, if your computer has any problems i.e malware on it are a couple which can slow things down.

If you go to Virgin Media website and log in to your account, theres a section that helps with speeding stuff up and tackling problems which I found useful. Just look for the Broadband section. Also you can go to speedtest and check you are getting the speeds offered. Just Google speedtest. Hope that helps. Give me a shout if I can be of any assistance. Regards Steve
    Quote: look inside,trust what you find there
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Elmanc
    Getting it done on Thursday so I will have a test on it later on. Iv'e done a few Ping Tests etc over the years. Anything down telephone lines is a bit iffy, if I get over 20 meg I will be quite happy. Will let you lot know how it goes. Okidoke Alanthemanc
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Got it done today........ I'm impressed, and not impressed if you get my drift. The account number they have given me, does not get me onto the Virgin website.
    The phone line has a buzzing sound down it, and the engineer was scared stiff of touching our old Freeview box, because he thought we would sue him if he broke it.
    The broadband seems reasonable, but nothing to write home about.
    Lots of niggles with it to be honest. Alanthemanc
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    it good
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE