A good weekend, but a sting in the tale

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 14. Sep 2013, 06:27 in Community Chit-chat archive
On Saturday everything fell into place for me to get down to London to view my son and the bump(soon to be first grandchild). DIL's parents were there as well so we had a good grandparent session, looked at progress with the nursery, and admired the various gifts that have come in already.Lunch in an excellent Italian place and a wander round Covent Garden Market made for a most enjoyable awayday. The journey back was uneventful, although I nearly missed my stop to get off which would have made things a wee bit awkward - buying another ticket and waiting an hour for a return train so I could pick up my car to get home(no buses and too far for taxi) didn't appeal late at night after such a busy day!
Today my daughter and her boyfriend came over and we went out for lunch and I was able to find out more about her move, so things going well.
However when I checked my emails I found out that my sister in Holland has glaucoma and the news isn't good - minimal sight in one eye, the other less damaged but at severe risk of damage.She's a professional free lance musician, travelling all over the world, so this is pretty catastrophic. Makes my health problems more bearable in comparison......

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Daffy

Your poor Sister :( Bless her I am sure she won't give up her music though and will find a way to carry on.....

She lives a long way for you to visit but I bet you want to go :?

Despite this I am glad you had such a lovely lovely weekend before the bad news. Good bump is doing well and also that you feel reassured by the chat with your daughter about her move.

Take care while you let the news sink in

Love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm so glad you had a good weekend, daffy, but your poor sister! I know there are different types of glaucoma. My father-in-law had it. It stopped him driving at night but not much else. It must be very worrying for a professional musician, though. I hope it can be controlled well enough for her to be able to carry on playing.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Glad you had a good weekend Daffy, so sorry to hear about your sister here's hoping it may not be as bad as it seems keeping fingers crossed for her, great news about the bump..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Daffy I am glad you had such a lovely weekend..I am not good with trains.. :? but your poor sister...my neighbours mum was diagnosed with glaucoma..I know she had an op to drain the fluid... I do hope they can help your sister carry on with her music...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Any news on your sister, daffy? And how are you after both the weekend and the shock of the news?
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    Sticky, the news from Holland is a bit better thank heavens, and bless you for asking. The drugs have reduced the pressure in her right eye sufficiently that an operation isn't needed, and the immediate threat of damage is averted, although obviously there's nothing to be done to improve her left eye. There is some change to her medication which she hopes will reduce the bad side-effects she was having, and she has been told that she can drive but not at night. I'm not sure she's confident about that - it's difficult enough adjusting to minimal sight in one eye and not very good in the other, without the added stress of the mad dutch traffic. Fortunately her children are young adults now and don't need a taxi service!
  • stickywicket
    That does sound a bit better, though still scary for a musician. I remember my father-in-law used to worry about driving home before dark. I hope the improvement continues.
    And you? (Come on, you don't wriggle out of it so easily :wink::lol:
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    Sticky, is your middle name terrier?!
    OK, I am doing not too badly at the moment. The sudden and significant drop in temperature seems to have eased the joint pain quite a bit - although the downside to that is that I have done too much gardening the last 2 days - and fatigue has settled to manageable levels. Just as well, as it looks as if more problems have cropped up in the lengthy saga of settling mum's affairs.
  • stickywicket
    daffy2 wrote:
    Sticky, is your middle name terrier?!

Are you psychic, daffy :lol:

I'm glad things are a bit better. I thought all the stress might have had the opposite effect. (I just typed 'effects' there. Yup, dealing with parental 'effects' is not an easy task. I hope it goes OK.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    Well it never rains but it pours - literally and figuratively! My other sister phoned Thursday morning in a terrible state as her world had just imploded courtesy of her OH. Again she is so far away that I can't 'pop over' to be with her, but in fact that isn't what she wants at the moment, she needs a listening ear which I can provide(been there, done that, got the T-shirt as they say)
    I am finding it all a bit draining but coping better than I would have done a couple of weeks ago when the heat was just flattening me. Just trying very hard now not to go down the 'what next' route, especially with the GD due shortly.
    In the meantime the rain, while welcome for my plants, is reminding me that there are minor works to be done to gutters, which I need to find someone to do....
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry about your sister and her OH but I bet you provide a brilliant listener. Do you have skype, daffy? I find it helps because one can see facial expressions and little mannerisms which give more clues as to how the other person is feeling.

Mind you, we nearly had a disaster on skype last week. Our son has it on his mobile. We said goodbye to son and 4yr old grandson then asked them to say goodbye to our daughter-in-law who was in the shower. "I'll take you to Mommy" cried the little fellow and, obligingly, ran towards the bathroom with the mobile phone accompanied by three horrified shouts of "NO." :lol:
    Steven Wright