It's very nearly done.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 16. Sep 2013, 16:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
And it is. There were two full-sized removal vans teamed with eight men, the ground floor is empty, the first floor has had nearly everything removed, it's just the loft and Ma's shed to go. I thought too late about the keys to the window locks and the Banhams fitted to a French door - they've gone so I'm not sure how I am going to get the grand piano out but hey-ho, I'm sure someone will find a way around that.

It took Ma and Pa years of hard work to get the house fully furnished etc and it's all gone in a trice. It's almost indecent. No, scrub that, it is indecent. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's difficult isn't it DD? On the one hand it's just things, stuff, but actually it's 3 lives layered onto those things, and the removal and dispersal of those things thus becomes the removal and dispersal of those 3 lives. Even though one of those lives(yours) is still being lived, and the links with the family unit become more tenuous with the passing years, so long as the family home remained the links remained. They have now gone and it's all so final.
    It only struck me recently that I am now no longer someone's daughter - I am the eldest of our particular branch of the family, no-one above me to defer or refer to - which I find a bit unsettling. I don't want to be a grown-up, I'm not ready yet!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Aw DD :?

I know it's probably been a really hard day for you BUT it needed to be done and now it is done so it's not hanging over you.

Well done for surviving.

Can I suggest you raise a glass to your Ma and Pa tonight?

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi DD
    What a sad day for you
    I would also like to raise a glass to your parents they brought up one special lady you :)
    Be kind to yourself and have a rest
    Maria :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    ((((()))))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Me to (((())))xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thinking about you DD..(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you one and all, your kindness is very much appreciated. Yesterday was a wretched day, today may be the same but I hope not. My cousin is going to go over tomorrow to clean the house, bless her, Mr DD has said he will take me down at the week-end should I wish to go but I don't think I do. I don't think I do. I don't know. :( DD
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    You've said your goodbyes , DD , don't go as an empty house will make you feel even worse . Stay away , shut your eyes and think back over your memories ; then raise a glass or two to your Ma and Pa . Sending hugs x
    Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Wise words, Jilly, thank you and I you are right. I am content in that the last time I saw the house I didn't know it would be the last time.

The firm rang: it's done. The bits that were going to auction have gone, the clothes, bedding and furniture etc are being recycled, everything else has gone in the crusher (most likely including the biccie tin of useful keys). He told me that today they found the silver bangle that my Pa gave to Ma on her 16th birthday (in its original box and a little note in her hand detailing its origin) and a WW1 medal that belonged to my late Pa's father (he was gassed and died in 1934 from its after-effects). He has put them somewhere for my cousin to collect tomorrow. I have spoken to the estate agents and they are ready to swing into action. Probate should be granted within the next two weeks so it's all systems go. The chap who does her garden is going to carry on for the time being, until the house is sold.

I have a glass of chilled white next to me, I am toasting my late and beloved parents.

Things may be a little brighter tomorrow - today they are still tough. The chemical enhancement has yet to register but I am sure it will.

Thank you for all your support, it is much appreciated and valued. DD
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol as you know , but I'll join you in your toast ( black tea for me ) ; the toast will be for your lovely ma and pa and for mine too . Lost mine many years ago but still think of them fondly . It gets better , DD , might not feel like it right now , but it does .
    Jillyb
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hello DD
    you enjoy that wine you need that if I could reach you I would give you a pat on the back you've done it life can be so hard at times and i'm sure your mum and dad watched everything.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    DD sorry Iv'e only just read all this but well done to you for getting your parents house all sorted I know it must have been very hard but no its done I'm sending lots of ((((( DD & mr DD))))) hugs to you both.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Oh DD I'm just catching up and have just come here to lend my support along with every one else, it is the worse thing to have to do, I remember when my mum went, My sister and I were the last two left but we had each other to lean on. I still miss mum so much but, as Jilly said it does get easier.

Bless you.
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, numptynora, Turbogran, Dachshund and JillyB1. The week-end was a toughie on the arthritis and FM front but I was a sensible girl and rested. Earlier today I had an email from the auction house that is dealing with items they felt were of some auction value, I have a number of lots being presented and they will be sold on Thursday. They will take their costs from any proceeds but I hope to get some money as a result. It would be useful. :wink: DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Sending my support DD, sorry I'm behind reading up on posts. I hope things will become a little easier for you now.

I remember doing this for my father's house quite a few years ago. Gosh it was a difficult time.

Best wishes,
    Anna
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    it is awful and draining and terribly sad and final.
    it is lovely that someone less fortunate will benefit from some of the possessions such as furniture.

i'm glad that they have found the medal and the bracelet.These are things to remember them by plus your lovely memories. nobody can take them away from you.

I wish you well
    Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, Anna, you are very kind to post when you too are under a significant cosh. And also my thanks to you, Tkachev, your kindness is appreciated and how right you are. I hope that people will like my lots and gain some pleasure from them.

I rang my cousin to tell her about the auction - she used to work for the auctioneers and reckons she will go along and see what's what. She went to the house and removed cobwebs (think Miss Haversham's house minus the cake) hoovered and swept the floors. The parquet flooring is looking good. The clearers left the curtains (despite instructions to remove them) and the keys to the French door in the sitting room have disappeared, entirely my fault because I didn't think about them until far too late. This will make removing the grand piano (stood in said room) rather tricky. I reckon that some vandalism may be in the not-too-distant future. :wink: DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    If you(well not you, someone!) take the legs off the piano will it go through another door?