Contraindicated drugs made me feel better.

Options
LolaCrayola
LolaCrayola Member Posts: 152
edited 12. Sep 2013, 11:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have had persistent pain for 3 years due to neuropathy from OA, I take Amitriptyline. I now have fibromyalgia and was put on Duloxetine by a locum. After a week and a half I started to feel almost normal, almost all the pain was gone. The pain clinic was unhappy with the meds as they are in the same class. The dr said, one or the other. So, now I am having a massive flare. The locum knew what drugs I was on. Imagine someone handing your old life back, then taking it back and giving you a broken half. The returned pain is truly awful and the Tramadol is out. I don't understand.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    While having no experience of the two drugs you mention, there are always grey areas with meds eg there might be some interaction between the two meds or, if they are 'in the same class' it might be that they helped the pain because you were actually overdosing on an ingredient common to the two.

In such cases the two meds would not routinely be prescribed together. This doesn't mean they can't be used together only that it's better not to as the dangers of serious side-effects become much greater.

Why not see your regular GP – not a locum – and talk it over with him/her?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Lola I am so sorry, and I know some of what you are going through..my GP had to stop my antiinflams a year ago now and I was in so much pain....I know they have bad side effects but sometimes its worth it... :roll:
    I do hope they can come up with something for you ..just to give you some relief...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    What a shame
    Why when something works they take it away from us its like the proverbial taking candy from a baby
    I personally don't rate pain clinics but that coz the one I went to only wanted to keep increasing my bubrenorphine patches which were clearly not working and my Rheumy Consultant was not happy
    I hope you find the right medication for you
    I've had this Arthur lark for over 10 years and still not sorted its a game of trial and error until the right drug is found for me
    Maria :)
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi;

If they were working well together for you, I would get a fresh consult with another GP, or your regular GP. They may be contraindicated but sometimes two drugs in the same class working in slightly different ways can be beneficial and they may be no harm in taking them together. Some are used "off label" for certain conditions without harm, as long as you are not self-prescribing and are under the care of a good physician.

Best of luck,
    anna