Please could i have some help

Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,952
edited 13. Sep 2013, 09:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone
I hope you are having a good day and not in too much pain.
I know you are not doctors but you are very well informed a bout pain.
my doctor sent me to see a ortho surgeon to see about having a thr
the surgeon he said it will be no good me doing it as your hip is okay
he move my leg around and showed me a exray it showed a line he said that was where I had fallen and broke a bone 5 years ago.he sent me for a mri I have not got the results yet he said I had osteoporosis that I new of.
I have the pain from one hip to the other. I had a mri 10 years ago in the same place was told I had a disc pressing on a nerve.
I phoned the osteo this morning she said you don't have pain from osteo. i'm upset because I though I was going to have some help with it
the surgeon and the man at the pain clinic I saw years ago said you have to live with it.
i'm so sorry it's so long thank you.
take care
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh my lovely, this is not good, I am so sorry. If you have a disc pressing on a nerve then I reckon that would explain the pain, I am not sure that osteoporosis hurts as such (until a bone is broken) so it could well be that your hip is OK, it's the disc that is causing the trouble. There is a horrible grain of truth in being told we have to live with it, sometimes we do because not everything we have can be fixed. I think it may be time to have the disc issue further investigated because that might be 'fixable'. Oh blast it. I am so sorry. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe Joan, I am so sorry that was not what you were wanting to hear, I am like DD maybe the 'disc' problem can be 'fixable' here's hoping sending you some (((()))) to keep you going..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you DD and Marie
    thank you for answering and understanding.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Joan

I am so sorry to hear this. When you say you phoned the osteo and she said you cannot get pain with osteo do you mean osteopororis If you meant osteoporosis, I am sorry but you can get pain from osteoporosis. I am on the American forum for OP and people are posting there that they do have have pain and nothing is done by the medics and then later they are dx with osteopororis even if they have not fractured. They say they had aches pains and felt sore. I know that you take an op drug. Have you even had a VitD test to see if that is low or not. You should have this test if diagnosed with OP. I taught my gp that. He had to go and look it up to check. Then issued me with a blood test form.

I think you have to be firm and persevere with this. We know our own body more than anyone else and these medics do not know everything unfortunately. Half the time we are their guineapigs.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Joan , I know you had got your head around having a THR..and now this..I have a disc pressing on a nerve I think its a stenosis..and having my THR has helped but not taken all the pain away.
    I wished I lived nearer and come with you to your appointment...but I do think you need to see your GP and have it explained properly to you..I would ring and say when they have all the results and letters from the consultants could you see him about it...they do confuse people...and all consultants sometimes differ in there views.
    Hope you get some help very soon...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Elna
    yes it was osteoporosis I phoned the consultant said my bones are thin he said they can fracture easy. he said that was why my legs ache and I have a sharp pain when I bend over.
    thank you
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Joan

Are you bending over in the correct way since you have been dx with OP? Either bending the knees and going down with a straight back or doing the hip hinge bend, as it is called. I do sympathise as I have recently been dx with OP and am finding out as much as I can about it. I am on two forums and learning pretty fast!

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Elna
    because I have c palsy my balance goes when I bend I bend over with my knee's a bit bent if I stay down too long I get a pain and go stiff across my back how much water do you have with the calc tab.
    thank you for your help
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Joan,Im sorry that things are not good at the moment,am sending gentle hugs (((()))). Mig
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you mig
    take care
    (((((((mig)))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have been thinking of you all evening and I wish I could do more to help. I am aware that the CP may be a complication but I do not pretend to know just how much. You deal with so much my lovely, and as usual you are quietly courageous. 'Nuff said. I send my love to you both. DD
  • elnafinn
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Thank you Elna
    because I have c palsy my balance goes when I bend I bend over with my knee's a bit bent if I stay down too long I get a pain and go stiff across my back how much water do you have with the calc tab.
    thank you for your help
    take care
    joan xx
    Dear Joan

I do not take the calcium and Vit D (chewable) tablets. I have a Vit D tablet that I take (swallow with water) and I get enough calcium from my diet daily, or I am hoping I do. The OP med that I have now been prescribed with is a powder that I dilute in a whole mug of water and stir it, and drink it every evening, two hours after any food or drink, other than water. It is called Strontium Ranelate or SR for short. I am also taking Vit K2 (that I buy myself). Along with the vitamin D that helps your body to absorb the calcium, vitamin K directs that calcium to your skeleton where it's needed.... or so I am given to believe.

Love
    Elna x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options
    Dear Joan, no wonder you are in so much pain if you have a disc pressing on a nerve. As you will know, I'm usually a big advocate of joints being replaced but, if there is no problem with your hips, it makes no sense to replace either of them. Might it be worth asking if an operation on the disc would be possible?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Dear Joan;

Sorry to hear you are having disc/spine pain problems. I do hope your doctor can taylor a pain management program for you that is helpful.

I remember you have difficulties swallowing tablets so I hope they can find a way to help and not have you "just live with it".

Sending (((())) and best wishes,
    Anna
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Joan, how are things today? I am thinking of you very much. ((((( my lovely Joan ))))) DD
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello Elna
    I have protelos and calceos calcium and vitamin supplement.(chewable) tabs.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Sticky and Anna.
    i'm waiting for the letter with the results then I will go and see my doc.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you DD
    you are so busy it's kind of you to think of me. the c p is not a problem my right side was not as strong as the left it's got better over years my arm and leg are shorter on that side. i'm left handed.
    you take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Just sending you some hugs Joan then you know I am thinking about you..(((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Barbara
    I hope you are having a good day.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx