Fed Up!

Options
louise7111
louise7111 Member Posts: 31
edited 22. Sep 2013, 16:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys,

I've been on here a few years ago & had been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis. A few years on & a growing number of lumps I've just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis, in my hands, wrists & knees. I'm 41 :cry:

I saw the Rheumatologist at the end of July, who has advised to carry on with the naproxen and just put up with the pain. Don't get me wrong, she was a lovely lady & I know a lot of it is 'putting up with it' but i'm finding it too tough. I've had to stop the naproxen at the moment as it gives me bad stomach problems. Co-codamol helps a little.

The pain has even progressed since seeing the rheumy. I work Mon-Thurs (full-time) & just don't know how I kept going this week. I had to keep sneaking off & having a cry because of the pain.

I feel like 81 not 41.......Thank you for listening to my ramblings

Louise

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Louise
    Welcome or welcome back :wink:
    The first thing that struck me was the stomach problems and naproxen
    Are you on omneporzol or lansoprozol {sp??} anyone on anti inflammatories should be. If not talk to your GP.

Could you ask the GP for a re assessment of your meds? It is GP's that deal with the OA bit of it rather than rheumys that deal with the RA bit of it.

Love
    Hileena
  • louise7111
    Options
    Thank you Hileena for your help,

I take Omeprazole too :) Maybe the stomach problems are just a coincidence but my GP suggested I give it a break to give my stomach time to settle. I think that i've been too scared to re-start the naproxen.

Not sure if this is how OA works but when my joints are feeling bad, my whole body hurts. Like i've been to the gym for 2 days solid or like I have the flu. I can't seem to get any answers on this.

Maybe I should make myself a GP appt!

Love Louise
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello Louise. I don't think we've 'met' before..

I agree with Hileena about the stomach protector but I'm even more concerned about no mention of meds to fight the inflammatory arthritis. I hope you're on some form of DMARD. If not, it's not surprising that osteo has set in. If you are already on a DMARD then maybe you need to ring your rheumatology helpline to find out whether the increased pain is due to your inflammatory arthritis flaring or your osteo. The osteo itself will be worse if you're not currently taking anti-inflammatories.

Always take anti-inflamms with food (It doesn't have to be much) and, if the omep isn't holding it, it can be increased. I take one morning and night.

I know it gets complicated but you will learn how to deal with both kinds in time. I did.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Louise
    I have same condition as you and my fingers are nobbly
    I get so annoyed when we are told to carry on regardless with pain
    It's usually by someone who has no idea what its like to live with pain 24/7 and day in day out year in year out Grrr
    Have you thought about getting referred to a pain clinic they can sometimes help mine didn't but I've heard some have had good reports on their clinics
    With our condition it a game of trial and error to get the right drug for us
    I've had inflammatory arthritis for years but only just got diagnosis on firmed when my daughter was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease last year, my rheumy took great pleasure saying I knew it was somewhere in your family grrrr
    So now I'm going down the methotrexate route as nothing has worked so far
    I think you are very brave working full time with this as I had to reduce my hours a few years ago to just 2 days a week but I was working on a very busy ward and never got the chance to sit and rest let alone get a break oh the great and wonderful caring NHS I think not!
    I had to finally give in and in march this year got ill health retirement
    I would keep working while you can but you do need to be kind to yourself and rest along the way
    I do hope you find a regime of medication that helps
    Please PM me if you think I can help in any way even if its to rant and rave it helps when some one understands exactly what you are going through
    Best wishes
    Maria :)
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Hugs Louise, sucks doesn't it? I'm new around here, but from what you describe with the achy flu-like symptoms, seems to me it's more your inflammatory that's causing the issue rather than the OA. I hope another chat with your gp/rheumy will help x
    Toots x
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Hugs Louise, sucks doesn't it? I'm new around here, but from what you describe with the achy flu-like symptoms, seems to me it's more your inflammatory that's causing the issue rather than the OA. I hope another chat with your gp/rheumy will help x
    Toots x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I too have an inflammatory arthritis (PsA) and that in turn has led to OA. GPs are the ones to deal with it and yes, there is not much to be done - it's tough but true. :( The meds I take for the PsA don't touch the OA and of course they wouldn't because OA has a different root cause.

What does your job entail? Is there any way you would be able to reduce your hours or work alternate days or summat? How considerate or understanding is your employer? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Louise
    The other have given you some good advice, its awful when the pain is constant....I do hope you can get some relief very soon..you ask to be referred to a pain clinic...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • louise7111
    Options
    I can't thank you all enough for your replies. I've learnt so much from you guys. Thankfully i'm feeling so much better today as I decided last night to start back on the naproxen. I always take it with food anyways but instead of taking the omeprazole only in the mornings, i'm taking one in the evening too, so hopefully this will help better.

My work, know all about my arthritis & have been very understanding. They have said that if I need help to carry things e.t.c then just ask. As for them cutting my hours or days, I doubt they would go for it. I work as a dental nurse which as you can imagine involves a lot of work using my poor hands. The job isn't by any means hard on the body but to me, it's tough. To be honest, I haven't told work just how much pain i'm in as I don't want them to think i'm whinging. As Maria said, so many people don't know what it's like to always be in pain & have no sympathy.

I'm going to book that doctors appt now (online appts system).
    Thank you all again

Love Louise
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I m glad things are a bit better but - and this is VERY IMPORTANT - only increase the omeprazole if your GP thinks it's a good idea. In fact, never increase any prescription meds without the GP's go ahead. It's important with omeprazole because two a day is not a normal dose. Please get it checked out.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • louise7111
    Options
    The gp wanted me to take 2 omeprazole in the mornings but I do have an appt for next week to get it all checked out :)
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with SW two a day is not the recommended dose unless you are given a lower dose tablet so 2 are equal to 1 usual dose
    It's normally 20 mgs if my memory is correct
    Maria :)
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi louise7111
    naproxen was one of many first start drugs for me, and it worked well
    for few months no problem with it.
    but the tummy protectors i just couldnt stand, so had to be carefull
    with any inflamatry drugs.
    hope it works for you.
    mike26 :roll: :roll:
  • angrypoet123
    angrypoet123 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I too am frustrated with my arthritis. I feell 80 and not 26. Hang in there.I
    *Kerri*
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on now, how are things going? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi
    Hope you are doing better
    Can I join your fed up club
    Maria
  • louise7111
    Options
    Hi all, I had a better week thank you. I started back on the Naproxen with one omeprazole & thankfully I felt a lot better. I was able to work without feeling like an old woman :)

Unfortunately my dog was unwell so I had to miss out on my appt with the doctor to get him to the vets. So I have another appt scheduled for this Friday.

Then tonight, I feel awful again :( Feeling very sorry for myself......My husband was moaning about his diabetes & I ended up getting upset with him. I told him that at least when he takes his pills, they work but when I take mine, it's hit or miss whether or not they will help!!

Mike 26 what happened to you with the stomach protectors?
    AngryPoet hope your pain has eased....Doesn't it just get you down :(
    Maria, sorry to hear you have to join the 'Fed Up' club :( It's a few days on, so I hope you have some relief....

Love & hugs to you all Xx