A tough time!

Options
judyc
judyc Member Posts: 26
edited 15. Sep 2013, 07:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello
Can anyone relate to this? I've been off work for a few weeks with anxiety, depression, panic attacks. All this has been brought on by me not accepting my RA and all the meds I am having to take. I have been having counseling and I am now on the mend but am struggling to sleep. I have been taking prescribed sleeping tablets for 4 weeks and I am now trying to wean myself off them (I'm taking one every other day) and have no sleep when I don't take one. It's been tough. Looking forward to getting back to work in the near future!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello judyc. Anxiety, depression and panic attacks on top of RA sounds nasty. I can't really relate to it as my diagnosis was clear cut from the start. I've never done sleeping tablets either. I do hope the counselling helps and things improve quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,480
    Options
    HI Judyc

Gosh you poor thing. Insomnia - real insomnia like you have can be so hard to deal with :(

I hope you are in touch with your doc for support with coming off your meds - as you said very tough

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    That sounds a lot to deal with. Lack of sleep will just exacerbate all your other symptoms as well. Do you have a good sleep routine? They say going to bed at same time and waking up at same time every day and no naps helps. Couldn't miss my naps myself :wink: Also no caffeine before bed, and no tv etc. Warm bath and hot milk, calm bedroom, not too hot or cold etc.

I suffer from anxiety, it cripples me at times and I can get depressed. Living with these illnesses is tough and you still have lifes rubbish to deal with also. At times it overwhelms. I found talking to friends helped and posting was cathartic. Don't isolate yourself.

Keep going, you are doing really well and will get there.

(((hugs)))
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Judy
    I do think many of us can relate to not sleeping and sometimes depression..and I do think they can both go hand in hand ..I am glad you have joined us because just talking can help....I do hope you get some help very soon ..but dont forget we are always here for one another.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello
    Hope you feel better soon
    Take care
    Kat x
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • snowdrop123
    snowdrop123 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear about your sleep problems. I was having a tough time with this one too but I have been sleeping a whole lot better since I started taking amitriptyline ( a low dose ) at bedtime and maybe you could ask your GP if it would be suitable for you too. It's an anti depressant but in low doses I think the way it works is to block the pain signals from your nerves to your brain thus allowing you to get some much needed zzzzzz's.

Good luck and best wishes
    snowdrop 123
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Judy, I still have sleep problems even with the dose of Amitriptyline I'm on now which needs increasing!! I hope you find a way to sort your sleep problem out. We all need a good nights sleep.