ESR

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 18. Sep 2013, 07:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just wondered what the highest ESR anyone has experienced as I got my bloods from last month and my ESR had been quite stable at 2-5 but has risen to 18 which is quite high for me.I had a bad case of Tonsilitis and a flare up since the beginning of August which obviously is the reason for this.I have since had a Steroid injection over a week ago and have been feeling so much better for 3-4 days now so hopefully this will go back down again.At what point would Rheumatogy would be concerned with your ESR.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My PB on that front was 168. I have no idea what figures would bother my rheumatologist - I have learned over the years that figures can be high and my joints feel OK or low and they feel horrid. They are currently very low but the OA ensures that they feel horrid. :lol: DD

PS I have just remembered that one figure doubled from 300 to over 600 in the space of a week when enbrel was exploding my liver but I can't remember which figure it was. :?
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Mine are always always normal,flare or not
    My daughters the same hers are never raised apart from her LFTs they are misbehaving at the min
    Maria
  • mazbaz
    mazbaz Member Posts: 38
    Options
    not sure that they are ever particularly concerned as my ESR was about 78 for roughly 5 months and Rheumy no. 1 still wouldnt give me any meds :? :roll: :x

Nowadays I seem to stay roughly around the 45 mark even tho am on full meds etc.

Feeling fairly ok at mo tho :)
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Mine stays pretty low, so I mostly ignore it as a value. It's meaningless to me as far as symptoms go. I guess that's lucky?

I'm fortunate that my doctor regards my description of how I feel as more important.

xxAnna
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    So it seems even if it is high doesn't mean it's a flare up.It was just unusually high so least I know now that it doesn't mean anything in how your feeling.I guess the only ones who will know how we are feeling is ourselves.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    From what I was told ESR could be naturally high or low and varies a lot from person to person, also increased levels can be caused by many things. My ESR has never really gone under 10 and usually sits around 40-50 range even if I am feeling totally fine.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Boomer13 wrote:
    Mine stays pretty low, so I mostly ignore it as a value. It's meaningless to me as far as symptoms go. I guess that's lucky?

I'm fortunate that my doctor regards my description of how I feel as more important.

xxAnna

I agree with that I'm the same and my Rheumy gets on how I feel
    Maria
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    My ESR is usually about 40 and has been as high as 80 my Rheumy just shrugs and says it is caused by the treatment I get for my neurological condition.............Marie
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I cant help shandy..but I do hope the figures go down... and I am so glad the injection work for you...just the thought of tonsillitis send shiver down my spine I suffered with that for years .fingers crossed for you xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've remembered which figure was running away, it was the ALT, liver function. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    My liver function went into the 100's when I first started Meth and they were just about to take me off it when on the final result it started coming down and settled and mine has been fine since luckily.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    My ESR has bobbed between 40 and 80 for the last 4 years but usually hovers around the 50s. It went down to 19 after 4 months of oral steroids and shot back up when I came off it. My rheum clinic prefer to measure CRP as they say it's a more accurate measure of inflammation, so I haven't had my ESR checked for a while. To be honest, my bloods don't always reflect how I am feeling and my joints can be very swollen upon examination but my bloods may be fine and vice versa. After all this time of not being a "classically presenting RA patient" (rheum's words), they just take me as how I am on the day and how I say I am.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    The rheumy clinic I attend doesnt even monitor ESR these days, they take notice of the CRP which
    'they say'
    is a true indicator of inflammation levels.

I always had high ESR around 60 - 80 mark
    and now my CRP can be anything between 30 and 50 which according to the clinician is very high, hence me trying my 3rd
    Anti-TNF next week. Normal CRP should be under 7

Fingers are crossed, even though hurting
    that this latest drug for me helps.

Kath