Diagnosis after 6 years

Options
KateP
KateP Member Posts: 19
edited 17. Sep 2013, 06:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
well ...... Not really sure how I feel but I have finally been told I have Psa and been started on sulfasazine , unfortunately healso said that the damage done to my left hip is too far gone and I need a hip replacement , as my other hip was done just 18months ago and still isn't great I'm feeling quite angry that it took sooo long to get diagnosis and that if it had been sooner maybe my hip would be ok. The rheumy said that due the absence of skin psoriasis it was possibly harder for previous rheumys to diagnose. I have really bad nails on my feet but that had always been assumed to be a fungal infection. Anyhow he says to Cary on with all my other meds and that the new ones will take a few months to work. I have to have blood tests every two weeks and increase the dose over the next six weeks then see him again. I really worried I may loose my job over the time off I'll need to have other hip done but I guess we will cross that bridge when and if ..... my husband is a great support but Indonworry that he thinks these new meds will turn me back into a gymnast !!!

Comments

• Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have PsA and I am on sulphasalazine but, although it doesn't give me any problems, it doesn't notably help even after 18 months. Not sure you will become a gymnast anytime soon but now the docs have a diagnosis to go on, things should get better :) .
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    6 years!!!!! Oh my gosh.

Thank goodness you finally have a diagnosis. I am sorry about your second hip, I think I would be a bit miffed too if I had to face hip replacement because of a missed diagnosis.

I hope your new meds kick in quickly for you.

I know what you mean about fearing or your job, it is very hard to keep working with a chronic illness, I hope you employers will be very understanding and give you the time that you need to heal.

Take care of yourself, I hope you feel better soon

Petals x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hmmm, I've been there and done that. It's not easy. I am saddened but at least you now know what is what. I found that attaching the correct label changed very little in terms of meds but it kinda helped me to deal with things. My PsA did not begin in the 'proper' way but as I am not that 'proper' I wasn't that surprised. :wink:

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Dear Kate;

I am sorry to hear your diagnosis and that it took so long. Unfortunately, PsA does not appear to be as well researched as RA and was lumped together with RA for a very long time. It seems doctors lag behind in recognising the subtle signs of this nasty illness.

My diagnosis took 7 years, all the while the doctor I was seeing was convinced there was no erosive arthritis at work; my signs of inflammation were quite subtle, as was the psoriasis. Now here I am, like you, 7 years on and an erosive process at work in my hips too (at least that's where it's showing up first).

It's hard not to be bitter. I am in the throes of dealing with this part too. I just really hope that the medicine gets caught up quick so there are fewer people being missed in diagnosis and treatment of this nasty illness.

It really helps to have a name for the beast, even though you now have to deal with the consequences. I am sorry, but at least can say you are not alone. It does help to air your feelings on the forum. (())xxAnna
  • KateP
    KateP Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your posts , DD it
    Would be good to hear more about your
    Journey as it sounds so similar, how long
    Ago did you get your diagnosis ? Does the
    The DMD help with the pain as well ? And
    Do the flare ups ease or is it progressive ?
    X
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    edited 17. Sep 2013, 06:57
    Options
    Well kate. I did read a post by a lady who said that she got diagnosed after having her knees replaced and when starting meds (methotrexate) that her pain reduced greatly(by 90% she said) so there is still hope things will improve and hopefully stabilise !
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Kate ...what a journey you have had...but at long last you have a diagnosis...not mush to ask...I do wish you well with whatever treatment you have x
    Love
    Barbara