FUMING.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 18. Sep 2013, 18:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have to say something and I think this is the only place in which I can say it. I am sorry. :oops:

My late cousin Christopher (the one who died in July due to a massive heart attack), he who played the organ at all family funerals and creamations (including those of his parents, my parents and a memorial service for his nephew whose body has yet to be found), he who was a tad odd but was a genuinely caring bloke (and whose sister Aileen has been helpng me over the past five months) had his ashes scattered by the crem staff. His surviving two brothers and one sister didn't wish to attend. Neither did his son.

I am disgusted. And very angry. I feel that someone should have been there - surely it's the last thing can be done for the departed. OK, I know that they won't know but . . . . . that is not the point. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello DD. I can well understand how angry and upset you feel about this and share your views. A great shame that none of his immediate relatives felt able to make the effort to attend.

Beryl
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    That's very sad DD, I would be upset too. It's that final goodbye isn't it? I have no words of wisdom but just wanted to say I also share your thoughts on it.

x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Oh no how sad. Why on earth didn't they feel the need to attend and say a final goodbye?
    failing that they could have taken his ashes home and scattered them somewhere meaningful and of his choosing.(not saying the crematorium isn't meaningful but they might know of a more appropriate place).

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That is very sad DD I can see why you are angry, when my father died we as a family made the effort to go to my fathers funeral, none of us had seen him for years as he hadn't been the best father which I wont go into, I am so glad we did for my mums sake, try and not let it upset you you have enough to contend with at the moment.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    That's really sad DD, families are funny things aren't they? No wonder you feel cross.
    Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, I appreicate your kind words and thoughts. I am still angry. I will contact the crem, discover where he has been scattered and arrange for some flowers to be left in the vicinity. He was always at odds with his siblings - he was on the Asperger's spectrum but undiagnosed - and there was some ill-will when their mother died because she specified that a flat should be bought for him, thus his siblings each lost part of their inheritance. All three were very unhappy about that. They should get it back (plus some extra) now, maybe that will soften their hearts. They are not a sentimental bunch but even my aunt (his mum's youngest sister) wasn't told when it was happening so she could go - she missed his funeral because she was away on holiday, that would at least been a chance for her to say her final goodbyes.

Ain't life strange? DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Its so sad DD and a sorry state of affairs when they cant attend for an hour or so at the most to say there last goodbyes...no wonder you are fuming..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    That is so sad.........how little time out of their lives it would have taken
    to go and say good bye.
    I can feel how angry you are

Sending you ((()))

Love
    hileena
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Oh DD that is so sad
    Just remember he knows you care and would have been there if you could
    (((( ))))
    Maria
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,952
    Options
    Hello DD
    they might regret it one day you know you did your best.
    try not too worry.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    I'm so sorry Daisy. Even if they hadn't wanted to attend, it wouldn't have taken much trouble to contact others in the family and give them the opportunity :( Maybe once you've spoken to the crem staff you'll get some peace of mind. Whilst they weren't family, I'd like to think they would show utmost respect while scattering ashes and it may be comforting for you to know that they were there to say goodbye. x
    Toots x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh that's so sad. I'm not surprised you're angry. Everyone deserves someone to say goodbye and how horrible that others were not even given that opportunity. Leaving flowers is a nice thought. My grandpa's sister didn't bother to come back from her holiday home abroad for her only brother's funeral. She is a multi millionaire (no exaggeration) and in good health, so there was no reason not to. There's nowt such strange as folk! x
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    very sad dreamdasiy
    you would think you could put your differancis behind you aspecily at a
    family members funeral ,mabe time will make them think i wish i would have been there to pay final respects.
    RIP.
    mike26 :cry:
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    That is sad DD, and so unnecessary as well. A big advantage of cremation is that the ashes are easy to keep until arrangements can be made for the final scattering, resting place, whatever. Transport is easier as well - my mother's ashes were sent down from Scotland to the funeral director in Cumbria when we had finally sorted out a date for interment with my father's remains - my sister listed it as 'travel expenses' on the claim for repayment! ( She was unable to attend so couldn't bring them herself)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My thanks again to you all, I am calmer now but I will arrange for some flowers to be left, and I'll send them from me and my late parents. They had a great deal to do with Chris when he was a young lad (they lived in a self-contained flat in his mum's house) and they were the ones who spent much time with him after his next brother was born a mere eleven months after Chris (yes, you can get pregnant whilst breastfeeding). It was my dad who taught him to read music and play the piano, and Chris was the last person in the family to see my dad alive, he visited Pa a few hours before he died. They talked about music as was their wont. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    ((((()))))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    No wonder you are upset DD. Even if they didn't get on, they should have attended. Glad you have calmed down a bit. I know he knew you cared.
    Christine