cervical spondylosis surgery

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 18. Sep 2013, 04:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anybody on the forum undergone surgery for cervical spondylosis and, if so, was it successful?

My doctor and osteopath have both said that if they were in my situation they would not have it done due to the many risks and complications involved.

I have now reached the stage where I find the pain and fizzing of the nerves in my head intolerable. Strong painkillers make me feel sick and dizzy, so I am only left with anti flams or amitriptyline at night which make me dizzy when I change position.

I have to make a decision what to do. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Janet

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Janet
    I'm sorry....I've never been in that position so I hope you work something out.
    By doctor do you mean GP?
    I know its your body but this will take a lot of thinking about.
    Hope someone else has some more information for you
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Janet I do know that elnafin had some sought of surgery for her neck or back...but I haven't a clue..hopefully someone will be along with some information for you...its always best to be well prepared ..good Luck xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Hi,

I didn't have cervical spine surgery but I have had three operations on my lumbar spine. Two of which were fusions. The last one has done the trick for me. I got unlucky with the first fusion and got infected which caused all sorts of problems.

My advice would be to get at least two opinions from different surgeons. I know it is tough in the UK on the NHS but they do differ in their approaches. I wish I had always had my new surgeon.

I will PM you with some links that might help too.

helen
  • MrOptimist
    MrOptimist Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Catie who posts on this forum is recovering from surgery to her neck - an 'Anterior Cervical discectomy and fusion' - hopefully she will pop in and offer a few words of encouragement :).

My advice would be to seek another opinion before making any decision.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options
    Hi Janet

In addition to catie

I think Elna, Dorcas, (Did Juliepf too?) and someone else....about the same time as Dorcas???? Hope that's right???

I am pretty sure they won't attempt it unless the risks are out weighed by the advantages.

Love and do let us know what happens

Toni xxx
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello Toni and Mr Optimist

Thank you for your kind replies.

It's a bit scary when my own gp advises against such an operation. He is not an old fuddy duddy by any means either. He is young and very clued up on modern medicine and surgery, so it's a very daunting prospect. In addition to which, my mother lost the use of her legs as a result of fairly routine surgery going wrong on her back and the last two years of her life were spent in considerable pain stuck in a wheelchair. She hated every minute of her life after that. It's a decision only I can make and it's not an easy one.

Janet
  • grumpy
    grumpy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hi knucleduster first post on hear
    i am in a similar position to you with some flat discs in neck
    reumi thinks i will need surgery but its not easy find ing someone who has had surgery or what the sucses rate is good luck with it anyway g
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    I don't envy ure decision one bit ((((hugs))))

Have you tried slow release pain medication? I find my SR tramadol easy to tolerate compared to normal tramadol at the same dose!!

Good luck.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x