Methotrexate and periods!

Options
iluvhobbits
iluvhobbits Member Posts: 32
edited 22. Sep 2013, 07:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I have a 15 year old daughter who has had arthritis for the past 14 Years, so much of her life! She takes 17.5mg Methotrexate by injection which she has been on for the last 3 years, she recently had a 'flare' in her knees and had steroid injections into her joints in August. I just wondered if any ladies out there who take Methotrexate have experienced irregular periods. My daughter has had a period on and off for the past month which is really getting her down. I took her to see her GP today who has prescribed some tablets to hopefully get her cycle back on track, but he was unsure whether the cause was due to the Methotrexate or just the fact that she is young and her periods haven't got into a regular pattern yet. He did check his drug book and said it does say that Methotrexate can cause 'Menstrual disturbances!'
Any experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Iluvhobbits

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I'm sure I replied to this yesterday but think I'm losing my marbles any way!
    If you read the patient leaflet bumph it does say it can affect the menstrual cycle
    If your daughters are irregular anyway it will mess with hers I'm sure
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In the days when I used to have them I had no trouble but I was an old woman when I began the meth etc. If menstrual disturbances are a recognised side-effect then your lass probably has not had the opportunity to establish regularity; maybe a low-dose contraceptive pill could help? I am not a doc so don't know but I am sure she would benefit from knowing what will be happening and when. I wish her (and you) well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Just adding to the mix - my understanding is that steroids can mess with your cycle - I haven't had a period since I had the steroid injection in my knee at the beginning of July. So it may be a combination of both in your daughters case :( Hope she gets some relief soon, I remember from past experience that it's incredibly draining to be on and off all the time x
    Toots x
  • lagloire
    lagloire Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi, Iam in my late 30, I have been on Methotrexate since 2008. I have been seeing my periode irregularly since 2009 until 2011 when it started coming every three months. From 2012 it stops coming and my gynnecologist did some blood tests and said that I was going through to an early menopause. Now she has prescribed me an HRT to avoid me having osteoarthritis.
    Your daughter is too young. she might not have the same probleme as me because everyone is different. I wish her all the best.