Help with heating costs?

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 25. Sep 2013, 09:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Might be imagining things but did I see a thread on here about help with heating costs if you receive DLA?

I receive middle rate care and high rate mobility and really hope I can get some help cause I'm already freezing and we can't put the heating on as it's not cold enough yet.

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I'm sure I heard that too
    Also think you can get a new boiler too is you are getting DLA I'm sure I've heard that advertised on the radio
    I had my heating on yesterday as we were all frozen
    Maria
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    The Warm Front Scheme ended on 19 January 2013 , we had new boiler fitted three years ago but with the goverment cost savings they decided to end it

think you still can get help with insulation of your home , try the http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/
  • DebbieT
    Options
    That is the link for the Warm Home Discount Scheme for winter 2013-14.

U have to check ure supplier is on the list then if you aren't eligible under the core group check under ure own suppliers broader group, low income & disabled are often included there.

xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • trepolpen
    Options
    DebbieT wrote:
    That is for winter 2013-14.

U have to check ure supplier is on the list then if you aren't eligible under the core group check under ure own suppliers broader group, low income & disabled are often includes there.

xxx

https://www.gov.uk/warm-front-scheme/overview

warmfront was for help fitting heating systems etc & nothing to do with the warm-home-discount-scheme which I did not know about but being in the ESA support group wont get it , which is a shame because everyone who has some kind of disability will feel the cold a lot more
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Jen
    The new boiler replacement is help link..if you are on the higher rate DLA then you can get a new boiler if yours isn't has efficient or broken...I dont think you can get help with the bills unless you are over a certain age..70 something .
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    Options
    trepolpen wrote:
    https://www.gov.uk/warm-front-scheme/overview

warmfront was for help fitting heating systems etc & nothing to do with the warm-home-discount-scheme which I did not know about but being in the ESA support group wont get it , which is a shame because everyone who has some kind of disability will feel the cold a lot more

My total & sincere apologies for misunderstanding ure post!! :oops: :cry:

I'm with British Gas & we are in ESA Support Group. This is wot it says for their Broader Group:

In order to qualify for the Warm Home Discount you are required to meet the following criteria:

In receipt of the Savings or Guarantee & Savings element of the State Pension Credit (unless already qualifying as part of Core Group - see above).

In receipt of one of the following means tested eligible benefits.

1.Income related employment and support allowance (which includes a Work Related activity or Support component).
    2.Income based Jobseekers' Allowance.
    3.Income Support.

OR

Customer household has an annual income of less than £16,190 and the account holder is living with a mental or physical disability or illness, or there is an element of vulnerability in the home, e.g

1.Households with children aged 5 years or under.
    2.Account holder (or partner) aged 62 or over.

OR

Customer household has an annual income of less than £16,190 and spends 10% or more of their household annual income on fuel for adequate heating (usually 21 degrees for the main living room, and 18 degrees for other occupied rooms).

*Please note that we may ask you for documentary evidence to support your claim, as required by Scheme Guidelines.*

I hope that helps explain it a bit more? It's the 3rd year it's been run, it's government funded. Please look under ure own energy supplier or contact them & ask if they're participating in the scheme!xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • maria09
    Options
    Well Debbie that's me out on all counts!
    Lets hope my 30 odd year old boiler keeps on behaving
    Can't afford a new one
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I receive higher rate DLA and have never received any help with heating costs. We keep the heating on low all day, wear thermals and jumpers in the very chilly times and occasionally top up the room we're in with a halogen heater. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    There are different qualifying benefits for different gas/electric companies. For 2013-2014 it is £135 reduction off your heating bill (usually comes off the bill around march/April but you apply around now). This is the 3rd year for applying.

Its not necessarily DLA that is the qualifying benefit for all the companies.

MSE has a thread all about the Warm Home Discount scheme on the benefits and tax credits board with great links to help you apply direct with your company.Go to the last page and it will save you a lot of time.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    I've just renewed over the telephone and been told I have qualified for this years Warm Home Discount scheme with my Gas/electricity company (thanks for the reminder). I did not have a qualifying benefit but have a low income as certain benefits are NOT counted as income.
    DLA is not counted as income. Not sure about ESA though I'm afraid.

elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Hi thanks for the info but I don't think we qualify. We rent so the new boiler thing is probably a no go with the landlord.
    Just fed up with not being able to put the heating on when we need it. Generally I sit under a blanket at night or when I'm sitting still as that's when I get cold.
    When I go to bed me feet are usually freezing and the end of the bed stays cold as they don't warm up. Although tonight I have a temp as I have the lurgy.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    A hot water bottle may be a solution to cold feet. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    Options
    maria09 wrote:
    Well Debbie that's me out on all counts!
    Lets hope my 30 odd year old boiler keeps on behaving
    Can't afford a new one
    Maria
    Why did I speak so soon
    My bl**dy boiler has given up no heating no hot water and no gas fire as I can't get that to work either!
    At least I'm saving on the heating bills!!
    Maria
  • maria09
    Options
    There are still schemes out there for replacement boilers and central heating systems and can be free if certain criteria is met only on I meet is my boiler is old
    But will see
    I know its available in West Yorkshire might be other regions too
    So get looking guys
    Maria
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    good evening

Ive just had an argument with British gas they say I still owe the £296.91 after paying £55.32 on Friday, this is for 30 units of gas and 213 units for electricity, I only got this house in June so this is my first bill, also looks like gonna be my last, I cant afford this and im not entitled to any help.

Looks like me and mine are gonna have to get a lot of hot water bottles :shock:
  • trepolpen
    Options
    maria09 wrote:
    There are still schemes out there for replacement boilers and central heating systems and can be free if certain criteria is met only on I meet is my boiler is old
    But will see
    I know its available in West Yorkshire might be other regions too
    So get looking guys
    Maria

Maria , the new boilers are 30 to 40% more efficant so you will save a lot on gas , but would try to see if you can get help with the cost , check the links in this thread
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi
    I've checked our income is too high and I get no benefits or family tax credit and not in a support group so they only qualifying thing I have is an old boiler
    I leave the financial side to hubby so he will find away to finance the new heating system
    It needs doing we could just replace the pump but it keeps breaking down so needs must
    Oh and we need the whole of the downstairs, hall and landing decorating so seems sensible to do it now
    Maria :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    lily wrote:
    good evening

Ive just had an argument with British gas they say I still owe the £296.91 after paying £55.32 on Friday, this is for 30 units of gas and 213 units for electricity, I only got this house in June so this is my first bill, also looks like gonna be my last, I cant afford this and im not entitled to any help.

Are you saying that you've been charged for gas and electricity that you haven't used, lily? If so, I guess you need to take the matter up with your supplier.

Even assuming you have electric heating, that's a lot of electricity to get through during what has been a long hot summer. Might it be worth querying the units used?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    Options
    lily wrote:
    good evening

depending on what tarriff you are on and how you pay (dd or cheque) but gas is around 4p-5p a unit and the daily standing charge 24.5-26p and electricity is around 16p/18p per khw and 17p daily standing charge . you will have to check that they have the correct meter reading for when you moved in. Also have you given them a new reading or is it an estimate.

you can also switch companies but check if the property currently is on a fixed price as there may be a penalty to pay to change contract.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lily
    Options
    good afternoon

Just a quick reply as I don't want to hijack Marias post

Ive got in touch with British gas again this morning and the man who took my readings over the phone yesterday put hundreds of units onto my electic reading,anyway its now been sorted, owed then £25,06 and its now been paid.have set up a new dd as they did not process the one in june,

Maria I hope you manage to get a new boiler especially in time for winter

Take care
    Lily x
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi Lily
    This is not my post I'm afraid I'm the one who who hijacked the post
    I've had 2 heating men round so far got another one on Friday and waiting for another call back
    I'm impressed with the 2nd guy who seemed very professional and seemed to know his stuff the first ones were more like a double act father and son so think I'm kicking them to touch but will wait to see their quote and other guy has given me some pointers and questions to ask them
    So its a long process
    At least it's fairly warm and we have an electric heater we can use as the gas fire has decided it won't light either
    Oh and to cap it all I broke our garage door yesterday so job for hubby at weekend :oops:
    Maria
  • lily
    Options
    Maria

Hopefully all will be well when you get your new boiler :D

I will keep my fingers crossed for your hubby for the weekend weather wise :wink:

I finally after waiting 3 months got my gas fire fixed, it was to be fixed for me moving in, but as its been used by the last tenant I for the life of me cant seem to get it on :oops: ... looks like im having to get in touch with the council again,the knob is not suitable for my hands
    take care
    Lily x
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    maria09 wrote:
    At least it's fairly warm and we have an electric heater we can use as the gas fire has decided it won't light either

If it hasn't been used in a while, try giving the area where the pilot light is a jolly good blow. Smallest bit of dust/dirt can block the pilot. Worth a try x
    Toots x