bloody doctor

Options
lily
lily Member Posts: 160
edited 27. Sep 2013, 06:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
good morning

had the docs last evening and I came out fuming, she told me to start thinking of getting a different job, no matter that theres a recession on or that the main thing is that its my hands that go first in a flare.

She went on and on about this, then went on about the different meds ive been on since I was first told I had arthritis,excuse me but its not my fault that some meds did not work and the rest were not sutiable. told her that the meds she put me on from March are doing nothing for me and that I wanted no more, its like she does not listen she then gave me a prescription for the same :shock:

All I got was change jobs and get in touch with my consultant, I think its time to change doctors but will have to wait till I renew my dla.

I asked for anti depressants but again she did not listen, I went away shell shocked and burst into tears.

Im tired and in pain and just cry,am awaiting a phone back from the hospital,feel so let down

Lily

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I feel sorry for GPs and consultants, sometimes we demand a great deal from them which sometimes they are unable to deliver. They know all about the theory of living with arthritis, and yes the meds are patchy in what help they can give, but we are the ones who are constantly at the 'coal face', managing as best we can with what little we have.

Arthritis does demand change in our lives, 'tis the nature of the beast. I've had to give up work, I did what I could for as long as I could but then realised that I don't have the stamina for it anymore. (So far today I am lacking the stamina to have a shower, let alone cook and clean :( ) What meds are you currently taking, and when are you next due to see your consultant? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Lily :( What is it you do for a living? I only work 2 days a week since having been made redundant a couple of years ago, but I haven't been in - it's not taxing work but just putting shoes on right now results in agony and I just don't seem to have any energy.

While GP's are under a lot of expectation, sometimes they just can't deliver, but if you're feeling like she's not listening to you, perhaps considering a change indeed. Have you spoken to your rheumy team? Hugs x
    Toots x
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hi Lily,

I get told the same thing every single time I go to the doctors/Rheumy. They say cant you change jobs, I have, I have changed 3 times (same company, but different jobs) the trouble is, if you are tired and worn out and in pain, then whatever you do, you will still be tired, worn out and in pain.

The only thing that has worked for me is that I have cut the amount of hours I work, rather than change the job. The result of this is that I am much poorer financially, but richer in my ability to lead a happier life.

Sorry to hear you are struggling but I dont think the answer lies with your GP, she/he can't find you a job or adjust your hrs, it is only you that can.

It is a tough old world and having a cronic illness makes it all the tougher, I feel for you and I know exactly where you are coming from.

I might add that when I reduced my hrs, it brought me into the tax free bracket so the loss was not as great as i thought it might be.

Good luck Lily, I hope you can find an answer.

Petals x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Dear lily;

I am sorry you are so tired, stressed and in pain.

Your doctor's job is to help you with your health and well being, not to continue medicating you so you can keep working. I had a horrible time when I was told I couldn't work anymore; I just couldn't digest the concept of not working. What was I going to do without an income after all? I was on such a treadmill. I couldn't imagine living without an income and it was very rough for a long when I stopped working. Now I see it was for the best. It was a very bitter pill, the realisation that I couldn't have a job where I used my hands or, as it tuned out for me, a job at all. I am sorry you are having such troubles but you must help your body by not over-using/stressing yourself. Even with medication, your immune system will not be able to cope with the added, constant inflammation.

I now view the following of doctor's advice (with second opinions if necessary), taking my meds, resting, de-stressing with appropriate help, and physiotherapy as my new "job". Albeit not one I wanted.

The disease, even with appropriate controlling medication, will not allow many of us to continue using our bodies how we did before we were ill, however inconvenient this is. Sorry, I know this isn't what you want to hear. It turns out it is the disease, not the doctors; they may well be trying to help you. Mine were not at all concerned with my financial ruin, and as it turns out, neither should I have been. Your health is much more important.

Sending you best wishes and hugs.
    xAnna
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello lilly
    I know that GPs see many patients..but they get well payed for the job they do...my first GP was like this..and the only time I had seen him was to have my smear test every 5 years.,.so when I started with Arthur I needed someone to guide me has to what would help...no chance so I change GPs and this one is very strict but very good...I can tell him when things don't work ..I just hope you can either go back and stand your ground..not easy when you are suffering...or find another GP soon...I hopeyou can get some help very soon..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Good evening

Many thanks for the replies, lots of things to think from them

A bit of good news though, got a phone call at 1.30pm today offering me a cancellation with the surgeon today at 3.50pm and I took it, only been waiting since the 3rd july when they cancelled less than 24 hours notice, anyway he favours the operation on my rotor cuff, even though he can only say its 50/50 that to me is better than what I have at the moment,

Got to get a mri and it will take about 4-6 weeks to get that, that to me is nothing compared to how long ive been in pain with it, ive to make sure that when the letter comes its for an mri and not an ultrasound , if it is I have to phone and let him know as he says an ultrasound is no good,

I work in a supermarket and I have to use my hands which are not good at all, this is where all my flares start, maybe I should ask for a job where all I have to do is talk, this I would be good at :lol:

I have spoke to my support worker and once my dla renewal is filled in I will be looking for a new doctor

Take care
    Lily x
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Good to hear things are progressing with your hospital appointments, I hope that will help you feel better about everything x
    Toots x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi lily;

Wow, having worked in a grocery store too. You sure end up using your hands a lot, don't you?

Now, I would not last a single day. My sympathies to you, no wonder you are in such pain. I really do hope you find a solution that will be best for your health.

xxAnna
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    Wow, that's exactly what my mum went through.

They don't seem to understand but I do hope a new doctor can help you out.

Although you may not feel like, keep smiling.

Hope you find a solution.

((((Lily))))
  • HARPER04
    HARPER04 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hello Lilly
    I think all of us at one time or another have been in and felt like you after paying a visit to our GP
    I really feel for you there is nothing worse than walking out of that surgery door and thinking Why on earth did I bother going in there in the first place Did they actually listen to what I said and last but not least why should I bother going again.
    Leaving you bitter cross and angry
    The trouble with that is at the end of the day we need them
    Without them life with Arthritis would be pretty much unbearable
    Yep sometimes their Pills and Potions don't always work but you have the option as I have done on a number of times taken them back and said Sorry these don't work I would like to try something else and if you feel that the GP is not doing the job change them
    Unfortunately it has to be said not all GP,s are as sympathetic as they could or should be
    Try taking a friend or relative with you as support
    You have my greatest sympathy
    Yours in the Trust Friendship and Support of the Forum
  • SaraD
    SaraD Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi Lilly

My Doc isn't too bad as he is also the Arthritis Consultant at the hospital. Rather than putting me on more drugs (anti-depressants) he is sending sending me to see a counsellor. Perhaps this is something you could explore with your doctor. I'm having a bad flare up at min and I'm off work. It worries me about the time I'm having off. It's not easy working and living with this illness. Try and keep smiling.