Hair loss methotrexate

Options
lulubell69
lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
edited 20. Sep 2013, 10:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
I'm going through a rough time at the moment both emotionally and physically, partly to do with RA and partly because I feel that no one cares. Anyway, since my rhummy my has increased methotrexate my long blond thick hair has been coming out in handfuls, I've probably lost about a third of my hair. My rhummy has increased folic acid to 4 times a day so I am hoping this helps.
Does anyone else feel that no one cares? I'm so far on the bottom, I've got an awful lot going on (family) and my husband and children just think 'there she's off again.' I'm tired of being in so much pain and relying on my husband for most things, I think he's getting fed up too.
Sorry for the moan.
Les

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Les dont apologies for the moan , its rotten when you are suffering has well has everything else life throws at you...its strange but I have OA and my hair is the same we are forever unblocking the shower :roll:it is hard having to rely on our hubby's..or family...I feel for mine...but we keep plodding along...and don't forget if you need a longer moan please have one..it will do you good to get it all out...much easier than putting it all on our OHs..((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    hi Les

how much folic acid are the giving you & what strength , never had hair loss with methotrexate but had hair thinning , on 25mg a week now & take 5mg six days a week folic acid & since taking it six days a week have found my hair has thickened up but it takes some time
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I hope you mean the F.A. has been increased to four times a week, lulubell69. I've never heard of it being prescribed four times per day.

You sound very depressed, maybe not just because of the arthritis. Can you sit your family down and all have a good, calm discussion about things and how they impact on each one of you. Everyone suffers when one family member has arthritis so your husband and children might well feel - rightly - that they are having a hard time too. If everyone can have their say maybe changes can be made that will make all feel a bit better about things. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello
    Biotin is meant to be good to prevent hairloss you can get it from Holland and barrett. Your hair should grow back in time. maybe you need more folic acid or a lower dose methotrexate
    Good luck
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi les
    We care and understand exactly what you are going through as we are either going through the same or have gone through the same
    Hang in there
    Maria
  • lulubell69
    lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks for replies
    Sorry, 4 times a week not a day, 5 mg.
    feeling much better today, been to metro centre drugged up on painkillers, feeling a bit guilty for moaning but i suppose we all feel down sometimes.
    Anyway thanks once again
    Les
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Phew! I'm glad we sorted out the FA :lol: I'm also glad you feel a bit better. Yes, we all have our bad days but sometimes the bad days tell us important things. If your hair loss is great, maybe you should check things out with your rheumatology helpline. And it is good to try to keep families on board. I hope you bought something nice :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kathe
    kathe Member Posts: 183
    Options
    I olso have this problem , and my hair is so tinn now.. It started when I started methotrexate and then I took tablets of fold acid a day, but after a will I had so low conts of folid acid that they had to increas it to 2 tablets a day. I olso have trid different types of tnf along side, and prednisolon. And my doctor has reduced the methotrexate dose to see if that helps but now.... Im still loosing mutch!..... Now I`m on some new vitamins along whit all the rest, but I havent see any diffents in my hair .. But it take a long time to grow...But the hair loos is from the metex the doctor say.... At first I took it bay tablet form but I got so sick from them so they changed it to injetions and it got a bit better, bot The hair loos is really bringing me down.....

Hope that you get better.. Best wisches, and hope you understand what I have writen( I^m norwegian)

kathe