Sulfasalazine

Options
Debev64
Debev64 Member Posts: 4
edited 20. Sep 2013, 09:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello. I wondered if anyone knows if tingling under the skin is a side effect of this drug. I'm new to this drug (third week) and I've noticed this sensation under my skin for the past week or so. (I'm already taking Hydroxychloroquine.)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello it's nice to meet you and I hope that the forum can help. I was put onto sulph many years ago, I did not experience the tingling that you mention and have never taken hydroxy but I do know that people can react so differently to a med or combination of meds: one man's bliss is another's poison.

When I began sulph I bruised mightily (from the waist down) for weeks, for others on here headaches and / or nausea were a factor, but if you can persevere then maybe it could be the combination for you. We all tread a fine line between reasonable and unreasonable side-effects but if you are in doubt then please contact your rheumatology helpline (if you have one). How often are you having bloods taken? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Debev64
    Options
    Every two weeks at the moment.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too. Sorry, I've never been on sulph. I've taken hydroxy for years with no side effects.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hello and welcome,

I take sulfasalazine in combination with hydroxyl and methotrexate, it has never made me tingle, but does give me a decidedly dodgy tummy on occasions :cry: .
    Maybe it's worth ringing your rheumatology helpline and asking their advice?

The search for the right combination of drugs goes on and on for most of us, hope you find the right combination for you soon.

Deb x
  • Debev64
    Options
    Thank you.

I've already got the dodgy tummy, but I expected that from the listed side-effects.

They are having quite a time finding a combination for me because I also have another autoimmune disorder, Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, which means many drugs aren't compatible with this liver disorder (no Azathioprine or Methotroxate for me!). It seems hopeless at times but we soldier on!

Thanks for replying.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum, sorry I cant help has I have OA..but I see the others have given you some advice..hope it clears up soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Hi there x

I've just started week 5 of sulf but can't say I've had the tingling you mention. Occasionally at night when I'm trying to get to sleep I get what I can only describe as a cold shiver under my skin, that runs the length of my body, but it passes after a few minutes.

I hope this passes for you too! x
    Toots x