Fear

Options
FoxGlove
FoxGlove Member Posts: 4
edited 24. Sep 2013, 14:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi - just signed on here. New to the forum.

I'm a 53-year-old female and have just been told I will probably need to have my right hip replaced. I've had pain for two years, and tried everything: chiropractors, three physiotherapists, exercises, change of diet and injections for bursitis. To be honest, I'm frightened to death of the op and the aftermath.

Having been a keen tap dancer and adult ballet dancer (as exercise only), I now find myself with at least one worn out hip.

I wonder what the possibilities of returning to normal activities are. I've deliberately not gone to ballet for a while for there is a lot of 'outward' movement, but I have gone to tap on the days when it is less painful.

Seeking reassurance.

Comments

• Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Foxglove, and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid as a relative newbie around here I can't help with your questions, but I hate to read and run, especially when someone is scared and anxious of what the future holds for them. Hugs x I'm sure someone with more practical information will be along soon x
    Toots x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi foxglove

Welcome to the forum, I am afraid it is OA I have so can't really help I just want to give you my support I am sure some of the 'hippies' will be along soon to give you advice, our lovely Barbara has just recently had hers done and seems to be getting on very well. Nice to meet you hope to see you around..................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hello & welcome,

I'm 43 I have Osteoarthritis (OA) & Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) which is an autoimmune type, but I'm afraid I haven't had any replacements.

I think from posts I've read that the more work you do to prepare ure body, muscles etc, the better outcome people seem to have.
    It's probably worth typing in THR in the search area at the top of the page ... It will bring up past posts.

Good luck.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • louisarm
    louisarm Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Hello Foxglove,

I joined this forum a few months ago. I am 51 and have been informed that I need a hip replacement too (O/A). This was a massive shock for me. I came to this site out of desperation and it is one of the best things I ever done.

I received many informative replies and lots of kindness and support.

I can totally understand your fear, I still have it but I am slowly (very) slowly beginning to accept it and feel less frightened.

I am a naturally anxious person and the fear at first took over me, I thought every joint would be affected and I would end up in a wheelchair.
    I became depressed and have even thought of suicide.

I am not saying that everything is fine now but it is getting a bit better and I am trying to fight back a bit. So hang in there. I have probably over reacted but unfortunately for me that's my personality!

I have done quite a bit of research into hip replacements and went to see a surgeon privately to get as much info as I can.

It is a very successful op apparently.

Lots of people younger than us have had it done. That was a biggie for me thinking it was only older people with arthritis that a hip replacement seems to belong to another age group. I am beginning to get my head around it that's not necessarily the case.

I went to a psychologist to try and help me come to terms with the arthritis. You may not believe this but she was 55 and had had both her hips replaced for O/A. She was as mobile as it is possible to be and told me that her hips were replaced in her late 40's. Needless to say that cheered me up much more than any therapy.

I wish you well

Louisa
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hello FoxGlove

I haven't had a THR, though I'm sure there are plenty of forumites who have and they'll be along to reassure you. My osteopath (who replaced my knees) told me that people who have had a THR tend to recover so well they forget they've got an implant, unlike TKR's which are always reminding you they are there!

So, from that I'd assume you're probably going to get pretty much back to normal after a THR (don't know how long after, probably a few months), and that certainly seems to be the case for both my brother and his wife who have both had THR's.

The immediate aftermath of the operation is probably the scariest - going through the physio to strengthen muscles etc, and not being able to lie on the affected side (apparently some doctors/physios say you must sleep on your back for 6 weeks), and probably needing to have the toilet seat raised etc etc. I fully understand your fears, I went through similar when told I needed new knees, I didn't believe it, and was terrified of just the idea of it. But you'll come to terms with it, and you'll heal quickly, and you'll wish you'd had it done sooner.

Oh, and good luck :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello FoxGlove. I have two THRs and neither has given me any problems. For me, as Chookgate said, the main difficulty was sleeping on my back for 6 weeks but it soon passes. The reason for that is that a new hip is very prone to dislocating until the supporting muscles are strengthened so doing the pre-op and post-op exercises is a very important part of the process. Having said that, it's a very common and safe op.

You can always see the orthopaedic surgeon just to ask a few questions. It doesn't mean to say you'll have to go ahead with the op. I know of one person who had a THR and still climbs mountains and another who has just been passed again for sky diving. Having said that, dancing should be asked about. It's twisting movements that are likely to put the hip under pressure and make dislocation more likely. Only your surgeon can really answer this sort of question.

Have you looked at Arthritis Care's booklet on Surgery? That might help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Foxglove
    Welcome to the forum
    I had one THR almost 4 years ago and they are thinking about doing the other one now.
    As SW says...its afterwards.....6 weeks sleeping on your back and all the other restrictions for that 6 weeks,
    The best thing is exercise to strengthen the muscles beforehand and exercises afterwards.
    As for dancing.....not sure...Ask your orthopaedic consultant or physio.
    For example....I've been told to swim but not to do the breast stroke because of the movement off my legs.
    Good Luck......keep us informed
    Love
    Hileena