I have found an NHS dentists practice.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. Sep 2013, 10:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having spent many years avoiding these necessary daemons (my feeble reasoning being that I have enough pain in my life so I don't need any extra) I have been forced into action. A massive chunk of filling fell out at the week-end, leaving behind a jagged little spike of tooth - this is rasping against my tongue which is now very sore. :( It hurts to talk, to eat, to drink, ergo it kinda fits in with all the other dross. :wink:

I went along today to complete the form and I have to ring tomorrow morning to arrange my first appointment. I am dreading it. I am not brave when it comes to teeth. Or spiders. If anyone could spare some thoughts for me I would appreciate them. Thank you. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh DD I do sympathise and I will be thinking of you. I have dreadful teeth, despite doing all the right things, and a successful visit to the dentist is one where there aren't any more bits missing than the previous visit! They are too far gone to be able to mend or fill but thankfully I don't often get pain from them.
    It's quite an achievement to find an NHS dentist who'll take on new patients - most seem to have closed their lists - so I hope the visit is not too traumatic.You have faced worse this year, but there's something about machinery furtling around in the mouth that petrifies many of us. I worked for a dentist many decades ago and it was interesting to see how big macho blokes could be reduced to quivering wrecks - and how many of them fainted at the sight of their own blood when they had an extraction. Mind you we hated it when they did that - 5 ft nothing girls trying to move sparkout overweight navvies out of the surgery so we could get the next one into the Saturday morning 'casual' clinic was a job and a half!
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Every sympathy, DD. I'm very nervous about visiting the dentist, too - although mine is very good and my visits are (practically) pain free. I've just spent an hour in the chair this morning having a replacement filling. The old one was about 40 years old, so I suppose it was time. I did balk at the cost, though - £100! We have had to go private - much against the grain - so good for you in finding an NHS dentist with an open list. Our old dentist was NHS, but, when he sold the practice, it was NHS for a year, then became private. We couldn't find anywhere else in the area to go, so just had to bite the bullet, so to speak!

My mouth has just thawed out and the filling itself was painless. I hope all goes well with your appointment - I'm sure it will be fine. For me, the anticipation is always worse than the actual experience.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Thought and ((()))s winging their way. I suspect what the dentist does to you will be far less painful that what the jagged tooth is currently doing. My dentist is lovely but I still hate going.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    NO NO NO ,no way. Mig
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    Thinking of you.....I hate dentists.....not at all happy in that chair
    Saying that....usually when I come out it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Hello DD
    I don't like the dentist but I would come with you.
    mine as the radio on that helps.
    I will be there for you take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD I did the very same earlier in the year...got on the net to see who was taking NHS patients...3 hours later I found one..and she is a lovely Indian girl...I was dreading it but she really put me at ease...I will come with you... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I share your dislike of dentists and spiders. Deep breathing of the meditative kind is very useful when under the drill. I have no control over my response to spiders.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Oh dear another wee hurdle to overcome, after what you have been through this should be a doddle for you. I used to be a dental nurse if I stayed nearer I would come and hold your hand :) . Try and remember to breathe through your nose that can help relax you a bit, good luck for tomorrow you will be fine ..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Good luck! I have had a few trips to the dentist in the last 2 weeks and am preparing myself to have a tooth removed. I'll admit I was scared at first to have stuff done at the dentist but I have never felt anything, even the needle was painless. Asking if they use a numbing gel on the gums might be worth while, my dentist uses it and I really didn't feel a thing, the most painful part is always keeping my mouth open lol
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you everyone, it's lovely to discover that I am not alone in my dislike of these strange people who spend their days rootling around in a sensitive area employing pointy sharp things and noisy machinery. There's nothing to rescue, I want it taken out.

Things are worse today, I am having to drink via a straw and I doubt I will be eating very much. I think lunch will be a thin soup via a straw, possibly my dinner too. It also hurts to talk which is a nuisance because I have to go to the GPs tonight. Wot larks, Pip. :roll: DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I doubt I will be eating very much. I think lunch will be a thin soup via a straw, possibly my dinner too. It also hurts to talk

Ve hef veys off making you slim....and silent :roll:

Not to worry, you'll soon be able to make your fortune with the DD Guide to Slimming - in itself a slim volume.

Really and seriously, I do hope it's sorted soon. It's a bit like when cricketers get a fast bouncer in what's sometimes euphemistically termed 'the upper thigh area'. Everyone laughs in relief that it's not them.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thursday 9.15 am. is the first appointment which will be a routine first appt check-up - hopefully the little jagged bit can be smoothed. In the meantime I will keep up with the salt water swill-round. DD

PS Please come with me, please. :oops:
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello DD
    good luck for Thursday you will be alright think of something nice to do when you come out.
    I will be there for you.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Oh my, I feel for you hun, I don't do dentists. The very thought makes my head spin!

I'll come with you though, knowing it's you who will sit in the chair, not I, and hold your hand virtually from the waiting room .... x
    Toots x
  • Megrose489
    Options
    The appointment will probably be about 10-15 minutes, DD. No time at all, really and you'll feel so much better afterwards. I would plan something really scrummy for lunch or tea that day so that you can look forward to it.

I would also tell the dentist that you're nervous and I'm sure he or she will do their best to put you at ease.

Imagine us all on the sidelines (a bit squashed in the surgery), but holding your hand and wishing you well, nevertheless.

Meg
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Hi DD
    Good luck for tomorrow! I've had a gel put on which numbs the gum well worth asking for.

Purpleowl
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, that was fun. :( Lots of prodding with the pokey metal thing, Xrays and I have to back next Tuesday at 9.15 to have this broken tooth filled. Gulp. She was very pleasant and, despite having weak teeth and not seeing a dentist for so many years things are not too bad. :shock: Thank you all for being there for support, I did OK but now? I am on fire with pain because I had to go upstairs, a flight of very steep and high steps. I will be seeing a different dentist on Tuesday, the one on the ground floor. DD
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Options
    I'm glad everything went well for you DD. I have a lovely dentist, but absolutely dread the thought of a check-up - I imagine all kinds of things :lol:
  • Megrose489
    Options
    So pleased everything went OK, DD - apart from the long climb up the stairs!

Meg
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Glad it went well, at least the next app will be a bit kinder on your body. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Options
    We'll all be piling in on Tuesday, then. See you there :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello DD
    i'm pleased that's over with you were very brave it takes a lot to go there I always think of my self smiling when I go out the door.
    ((((((((DD))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'll ride pillion on Joan's scooter, if she'll let me.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello Sticky
    yes you can there's plenty of room.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx