Glucosamine Sulphate & Chondroitin

Options
purpleowl
purpleowl Member Posts: 231
edited 24. Sep 2013, 14:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone use these products and do you think they are helpful for arthritis?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I tried these before I knew (and kind of understood) what was wrong with me. They may help those with mild OA but for the immuno types it's very doubtful that anything more than a placebo effect will be felt. This is a regular question on here, all our 'freshers' wonder about the efficacy of these things, surely if they truly worked they would be on prescription and we wouldn't be here. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I really gave these a try for a solid three months and they did not help me at all, sadly. I've heard a few people with OA that say they have been helped, but I think the science still suggests there is no benefit from them.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Tried for about a year did me no good but you pays your money you takes your choice. Mig
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I tried them as well and they didn't do much good but
    if you want to give them a try I say go ahead....they may help you....even if it is a placebo effect....who cares :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I have tried them, but didn't get any relief..but I always wonder should I have given them longer to work....my OH says its really helps with OA in his knee.
    Love
    Barbara
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    I've also tried them but had no effect on me, except for lessening my finances!!! All you can do is try them and see if they help.

Beryl
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hello Purpleowl
    I tried them for three months thinking they would work but no they did not.
    I hope they will work for you.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    I came across this the other day and thought some of you may find it helpful. I understand that Arthritis Research are carrying out further research into the benefits of rosehip right now, and the results so far do seem encouraging.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-rheumatoid-arthritis.aspx

This research listing is particular to RA, but I would imagine they have an OA etc list too.
    Toots x
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    my hubby swears by them for his knee, if he stops taking them he knows it!
    I will give them a try but I think my back is probably beyond any help now but here's hoping.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As I said, for those with mild OA do find some relief but for those whose OA etc is beyond that level then no, they won't do much. There's no harm in trying though, is there? Pinch his to start with. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I haven't tried it, apparently they are no use for the small facet joints where my arthritis was. But, I did put my dog on them. He is a lab, so prone to arthritis. I have to say that after the first month of "loading dose" he was much better and I kept him on the maintenance dose for a couple of years before he ended up on proper dog anti inflams. The vet seemed to think it works on about 50% of dogs. I keep thinking to myself that there can't be a placebo effect for a dog but Mr F always says that the observer could have a placebo effect! Anyway, that was my two pence worth!!
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Frogmella, my uncle had his retriever on green lipped mussel and it worked wonders for him. Just thought it was worth mentioning x
    Toots x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm always impressed by what works with domestic animals as they don't fake things and don't do the placebo effect. However, I took the Green Lipped things many moons ago when I still believed in miracles. They did **** all for my R.A.

However, Mr SW (mild 'wear and tear'. He will not call it arthritis) does find that a good Glucosamine & Chondroitin supplement makes quite a big difference. Be careful where you get them from though. Standards vary enormously.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright