Anybody had a TKR full replacement

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 24. Sep 2013, 13:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello every body its me back again , hope all are as well as life allows , i have a question re my knee TKR , has any body had their TKR replaced totally , i have already had it rejigged , because it was out of line , it is now once again out of line , so i am to have a meeting with 3 surgeons in about 2 months time , to discuss my options and decide if i go for a total replacement , the consultant said that it is a bigger opperation than a first TKR with many more risks , my question is now have any of you lovely peeps had this done and has it helped, i know we are all different but just looking for thoughts if you understand xx
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello bertyboy. It's lovely to see you but I'm sorry you're having TKR problems.

Yes, I've had one of mine replaced. It's called a 'revision' which I always think is a bit of a misnomer as it sounds as if they're merely tinkering with it rather than binning the lot :lol: It is, indeed, a bigger op than a TKR. It's a much bigger implant for a start. Mine now goes almost to my ankle, and radiologists rarely manage to fit it all in an x-ray first time even though I warn them. I also had to have bone grafts but I don't know if this is normal or not. Plus, he tidied up my tendons while he was in there so I ended up better off than with my original TKR. Mind you, by then that was 27 years old so I'm sure techniques had improved in the interim.

There are more risks than with a first TKR including an ongoing bigger risk of infection but mine hasn't given me any trouble at all in nearly four years. I will definitely have my other TKR revised fairly soon. I'm informed it's 'knackered' but, as I don't have pain with it, unlike the first, none of us are in a rush. I guess you're in a different situation to me if you've already had problems with your TKR. I had none until they finally started to wear out.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    Thanks Sticky for your reply , my main worry is if things dont work , i dont think i could cope with that , i have not been painfree since i had it first done :roll:
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    We can none of us quite get into another's shoes.

In your place I'd want to ask what went wrong with the original one and why. If it meant that a revision was more likely to go wrong. What I could do personally - apart from the obvious pre and post-op exercises - to tilt the scales in my favour.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright