1st day back to uni and its like deja vu

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 27. Sep 2013, 09:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Last year I started off uni and within a few days I was in hospital having an abscess removed. I have woken up today with horrible pain in my groin area, so I did the sensible thing and went to my GP who has said It looks like another abscess and has given me antibiotics. He said I will need to have it drained as soon as possible and it should be within the next few days, this means that now I can't have my infusions while the hole left behind is healing....last time it took 6months to heal due to the fact the drugs I take cause me to heal very slowly. Not being able to take my medication for weeks/months means my condition is going to return to how it was which is going to make university very hard or impossible like last time -.-

The abscess is said to be caused by my medication once again, having another form almost 1 year to day of the last is really frustrating.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry. That's really tough, especially as it's all happened before so you're under no illusions as to how long the recovery will take. I can only hope that because you were alert and caught it quickly that might make a difference.

It's such a shame that this should cloud your return to uni. I don't know if 'starburst' would have any tips for you. She seems to be doing very well indeed at uni despite having had a torrid time throughout both with her joints and family difficulties.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    No wonder you are frustrated As, as Sticky said you may have caught it in time here's hoping good luck keep us posted how you go.........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh that is so very tough, I am sorry. Abscesses are a nightmare at the best of times but at the worst of times? Total horror show. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    So very sorry to hear you're having a nightmare time of it :( Would it be worth speaking to uni and seeing if there is anything they can do to help with your studies if you do indeed struggle to make it in? I have no experience, so this may be completely off base, but thought it worth saying. Hugs x
    Toots x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your struggles- timing is indeed rubbish :( .

It might be worth contacting the student support office at Uni to see what help is available- maybe lecturers could let you have a copy of their lecture notes? Does your uni have an intranet service where lecture details are posted for students?

Hope you get it sorted as quickly as possible.

Deb x
  • As5567
    Options
    Thanks all for the support and suggestions. I have had some good news from the hospital. As I have a few family members who work in the NHS I have been lucky enough to have the same DR fix this abscess which fixed the last one, he has agreed to fit me in at the end of his list today. I have opted for the painful route (injection with anesthetic into abscess) Last time I opted for a spinal anesthetic which wasn't successful. He estimates that it will take around 6-8 weeks to heal for someone like me which I guess isn't too bad. I have also spoke to my rheumatology team who has agreed that I can continue my infusions as long as I visit the nurse at my GP daily for a dressing change and inspection to limit the risk of infection.

Hopefully if all goes to plan I will be back in university on Monday!
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    That's great news- hope it all works out. :)

Deb x
  • Toots
    Options
    Great news in the grand scheme of things! Hope it all goes well! x
    Toots x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I do hope so. I shall keep my fingers crossed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh I am sorry you have another abscess..but just seen the good news..I will have everything crossed for you that all goes well...please let us know how you are xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    Options
    Didn't go to plan, after a long examination of the area he decided that it's not an abscess. He has sent for me to have an ultrasound scan on the area and to go from there, hopefully it's just an inflamed lymph node or an inflamed cyst.
  • Toots
    Options
    Fingers crossed that it turns out to be something simple and innocuous x
    Toots x