Scaremongering?

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 26. Sep 2013, 06:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I hope I'm not as I dislike it but I've been reminded this morning that, not only is it flu jab season, it's also getting to the time of year when bugs abound and we auto-immuners have to take more care.

A friend and her husband have had nasty tummy bugs for nearly two weeks and they are not immuno-compromised. I am aware that some 'healthy' people determinedly soldier on at work with these things and thus spread their germs generously among the rest of the population.

I think more anti-bacterial gel is called for plus more hand cream to deal with the cracks resulting from extra hand-washing. Mind you, the hardest bit is convincing Mr SW that it would be much better if he used it too. When pressed, he uses a huge dollop and splodges it all over the place in protest :roll:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Where would this extra hand gel be located? It always amazes me how many people steam past the dispensers in the hospital - obviously their germs are lovely and harmless. :wink: I now have a small pot of gel in my bag for use when out-and-about plus a bag of anti-septic wipes for use on restaurant flatware etc. Neurotic? Moi? :wink:

I think you raise a good point, it is up to us to be more responsible for our health in this dodgy season because the un-suppressed don't give a damn about who receives their germs. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    It's good to be reminded SW, so thank you. Until the flu-jab thread, I hadn't even considered that I'd have to worry about my immune system being compromised. Live and learn, but hopefully not the hard way!! x
    Toots x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    I use so much hand gel I should get shares in the company that makes it!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    It's worth bearing in mind that antibacterial gel may not help against all bugs. The winter vomiting virus(norovirus) needs soap and water, not alcohol gels, for instance.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I never gave that a thought before Sticky, I always carry the gel around with me and coming from a catering back ground I do wash my hands a lot but the amount of people I have seen not hand washing especially after visiting the loo, no wonder we get as many ailments. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I was my hands many times a day otherwise I feel like I might catch something. There is also nothing worse than seeing people out and about coughing without covering their mouth and spreading nasty germs.

Thankfully I don't get many sickness bugs or colds, just 1 or 2 per year which is expected.