any suggestions?

lkm222
lkm222 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Sep 2013, 07:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had my bloods taken about 8 weeks ago, which showed raised RF and CRP, my doc referred me to the hospital to see the rheumatologist, who I saw last week. I have been in unbelievable pain some days in the lower part of my back, my hips crunch and lock and my knees grind and ache all the time, explained all this to the doc at the hospital. He 'examined' me in a fashion, and basically told me I was over weight and had bad posture.
I'm 31, my mum was 28 when her OA first started, and pretty much everyone in her family either has OA or RA of some sort.
I have lost over 2 stone, and while I may still be over weight, my pain hasn't decreased any along side my weight loss.
I am due back to see the doc at the hospital next month after having more bloods taken, any suggestions as to what I can ask him? Because I can't cope with the pains etc forever :-(

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. Seeing as how both kinds of arthritis run in your family the rheumatologist will be noting your concerns etc. A raised RF and elevated CRP indicate an auto-immune type is active (I have one of those, psoriatic arthritis) so I suspect he will order further bloods testing other factors such as ESR or ANA, iron levels, liver function etc. It is worth keeping a brief daily diary about how you are being affected activity-wise, tiredness and pain levels etc so that he can see a more rounded picture of what is happening. It has been so long since my first rheumatology appointment I cannot remember what was done but I hope you get some answers soon. I wish you well and please let us know your next appointment goes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    Hello there and welcome from me too.

First of all well done on the weight loss. That was some achievement and I'm sure you'll reap the benefits in all sorts of ways.

Secondly, you are seeing a rheumatologist and that is good because that will, hopefully, determine whether you have OA or one of the auto-immune types of arthritis. If the latter, then, at your next visit, your rheumatologist will probably start you on one of the Disease Modifying Ant-Rheumatic Medicines (DMARDS). These slow down the process of the disease and that usually help a lot with the pain.

Any form of arthritis involves pain to a greater or lesser extent. If it's decided that yours is OA then your GP will deal with it using anti-inflammatories and/or pain relieving meds. There is no cure and we just have to learn to live with it.

By losing the weight you have made things easier for your joints so the pain should be less than if you were still 2 stones heavier. Exercise too helps as it keeps strong the muscles which support the joints. This reduces pain.

I don't know what you can ask your rheumatologist but, in your shoes, I'd want to ask if it's an auto-immune form of arthritis or if it's OA. If the former, I'd be looking for some meds from him/her.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Hi lkm and welcome x

Frustrating though it is, my gp told me that it's often a process of building up a picture of blood test results, reaction to meds etc over a period of time. No quick fixes it would seem, but I hope you feel you're making some progress with your next visit x
    Toots x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello and welcome from me
    The others have given you some good advice there...I have OA and struggle to get the pain under control..the only things that work are the antiinflams but I have been taken off them again because of kidney probs..I would write everything down you think may be relevant..I do wish you well x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lkm222
    lkm222 Member Posts: 3
    Thank-you all for your help and advice :-)
    Xx