does anyone else have this?

Options
kentishlady
kentishlady Member Posts: 809
edited 27. Sep 2013, 08:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone. Hope you all all having as good a day as possible.

Just wanted to ask for any advice, please. As we all know, OA, RA and all the other forms of arthur make us tired as a result of the chronic pain we all endure. Over 2 years ago when I saw my gp, I mentioned to her that I was so tired all the time and wondered if I had a thyroid problem (my Mum had one). I had blood tests and they were ok.

Over the last few months, in fact probably all this year, the tiredness has just been getting worse and worse and I have really been struggling. After having BP checks recently my dr suggested some further blood tests and these have shown that I do have a thyroid problem, hypothyroidism - a low level of thyroxine which causes extreme tiredness!! So now I do at least know why I have been feeling so grotty, in addition to the OA.

My dr has prescribed thyroxine tablets for me and I hope they will work as fast as possible. It seems that that BP problem can be caused by thyroid problem.

Just wondered if any of you have had the same problem and, if so, whether meds have sorted it out for you.

Beryl

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I will be interested to read the replies Beryl. I have been having similar problems and when I ran my fingers through my hair in the gp's room and came out with a huge handful :lol: he suggested testing my thyroid. (Usual for me due to lupus, but horrified him) First one has come back as hypothyroid, just waiting on results for second.

I wondered if the tablets would make a difference or not. I hope I don't have it, but it would be nice to know why I am more tired than usual.

Lets hope the tablets really help you!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm also being investigated for thyroid trouble and still have some way to go before I find out if it is the root cause of a couple of on-going problems. I am glad that you are sorted and I hope you soon start to feel brighter. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MrOptimist
    MrOptimist Member Posts: 175
    Options
    It takes time for the thyroxine to 'kick in' and sometimes a while before the patient is actually receiving the correct dose. Regular blood tests are required to dtermine whether the amount prescribed is correct or not.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry to hear you now have thyroid troubles Beryl, at least you know now what is causing the fatigue. I have a multi-nodular goitre on my thyroid but apparently not doing anything. I hope the meds kick in soon............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hello Beryl;

Sorry to hear you have been feeling extra tired, as if the regular tiredness of arthritis and pain wasn't enough to deal with.

I haven't had low thyroid myself, but my brother and my mum have, and their problems were easily corrected with thyroid-tablets and both have improved greatly in their respective levels of physical and mental energy. It was an easily fixed problem and I think they both saw results pretty quickly. I hope this gives you optimism that you will feel better soon!

Best wishes,
    xxAnna
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    So sorry to hear that you have thyroid problems, Beryl. I hope that the medication works really quickly for you.

I don't have a thyroid problem, but did see my GP a fortnight ago because of my aching joints and on-going tiredness. He felt the fatigue was because of my poor sleep patterns - which may well be true. The tiredness seems to have got worse since I've been diagnosed with IBS - and there's also the pain of OA in my knees - but now you've got me wondering if it might be a good idea to ask to have my thyroid checked. I might mention it.

Hope you're soon feeling better. Look after yourself.

Meg

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your replies. I really do think it is something worth checking if you have the extreme tiredness. I think that maybe (I hope) the tablets are starting to work a little. I didn't feel quite so tired yesterday so am just keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope you are all having as good a day as possible.

Beryl
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Sorry I missed this thread, Beryl. I don't have thyroid problems but I do wish you well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright