Day after first dose of methotrexate !!!!!

Options
PaulO
PaulO Member Posts: 24
edited 30. Sep 2013, 08:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all hope you are all ok and not suffering to much?

Well took first MTX dose of 15mg last night.

Today, Upset stomach bad head, felt like i had a hangover all day!! :cry:
Hope this does not happen every weekend,

Bit fed up at the minute but never mind hopefully things will improve with time.

Paul

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It can wear you down a bit for a day or two but after a couple of months I found it a bit better. However I ended up going on the injections because Meth tablets can make some people feel really sick. 15mg is not a big dose but it can make you feel sick
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Paul, I'm 6 months in, and truthfully I still feel grotty the day after methotrexate some weeks :( . But on the plus side I know that my joints are generally more stable now, though I'm mid flare now! But it's a balancing act, and for me 5 good days are the pay off for one or two less well ones.

Really hope it settles down for you soon, and the joints are better for it.

Deb
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hiya,

some people do feel sick after taking Methotrexate. I take mine before bed so I kinda sleep through the sickness bit.

It should get better as time goes on but if it gets too much some people have it by injection instead of tablet. I have had it both ways over the years but I don't get the sickness any more.

Hope all works out for you, best wishes
    Charleeh
  • lynne2501
    lynne2501 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Paul.
    I took my 2nd dose of meth yesterday. after the first one i felt like i had been hit by a bus but didn't feel sick.
    Not so this week. Feel really sick, and hardly any energy....and it's a lovely day. Think i will just stay in my jamas all day and watch rubbish telly!! Glad i chose Saturday to take it so i dont have to face work.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Lynne
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Paul
    Sorry I cant help but I do hope it clears up soon for you, and more to the point that you get great relief from it.
    Love
    Barbara
  • PaulO
    Options
    lynne2501 wrote:
    Hi Paul.
    I took my 2nd dose of meth yesterday. after the first one i felt like i had been hit by a bus but didn't feel sick.
    Not so this week. Feel really sick, and hardly any energy....and it's a lovely day. Think i will just stay in my jamas all day and watch rubbish telly!! Glad i chose Saturday to take it so i dont have to face work.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Yeah thats why i started on a Friday Night, was initialy meant to start on a wednesday, glad that was not the case,

Enjoy the Chill out time.

Hugs

Paul
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    15mg is not a large dose as such but it is a large one to kick things off. Some start at 7.5 or 10 then increase gently but I guess that is in the hands of the rheumatologist who is prescribing and the nature of the patient's RA. Stick with it, mate, have you also been prescribed folic acid? That is usually taken a couple of days after the meth and can be taken more frequently than weekly. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PaulO
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    15mg is not a large dose as such but it is a large one to kick things off. Some start at 7.5 or 10 then increase gently but I guess that is in the hands of the rheumatologist who is prescribing and the nature of the patient's RA. Stick with it, mate, have you also been prescribed folic acid? That is usually taken a couple of days after the meth and can be taken more frequently than weekly. DD

Hi DD.

Yeah taken Folic, Had to start that on Wednesday so 2 days before the MTX

Told also to stop Tramadol as my Liver markers are High !!!

Paul
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    If you've only been told to take one dose of folic acid weekly, and this nausea happens again next time, it might be worth giving your rheumatology helpline a ring to ask about taking more. I've always taken my F.A. three days before my meth and also the day after. I have no problems other than an occasional 'very tired day', the day after my meth.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • PaulO
    Options
    If you've only been told to take one dose of folic acid weekly, and this nausea happens again next time, it might be worth giving your rheumatology helpline a ring to ask about taking more. I've always taken my F.A. three days before my meth and also the day after. I have no problems other than an occasional 'very tired day', the day after my meth.

Hi Sticky,
    Was thinking the same i will see how it goes next weekend and if no better will make the call,

Hope you are ok.

Paul
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I have been on Meth for 4 years. (I have RA)
    You will never feel 100% whilst on Meth.
    However the sickness etc will pass after several weeks.
    I am currently on 15mg tablets, but have been on injections too.

I take 2 folic acid tablets a week with the Meth, and this really helps with the side effects so I suggest mentioning this to your GP.

If the tablets don't work for you then I suggest trying the injections as you will get less sid.e effects as it goes directly into your bloodstream.

Although I have to say I hated giving myself the injections every week as I am terrifed of needles.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hope the side effects lessen for you paul!
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?