wrong diagnosis and a new spin on things

Options
delicatecloud
delicatecloud Member Posts: 16
edited 23. Oct 2013, 06:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,

I am really sorry for not replying before to my last post but I have just come back from Portugal and to tell you the truth, I feel mad at my doctor. As some of you may know from my previous post, I was told I had anqylossing spondylitis which sent me into a mad research on everything to do with this condition. Well, it turns out that my doctor being young, misdiagnosed me. I don't have anqylossing spondylitis but spondylosis instead. I was told this by one of his older coleagues who looked at my MRI and said spondylosis in the 5th lombar vertebra. Once again, I am at a loss, my grandmother had spondylosis but she was never in a wheelchair, my older cousin has back muscle spasms too. Can this condition be cured, perhaps spine fussion? The doctor prescribed me neproxen in an SOS situation and a back brace for 3 months.
I would e grateful if someone could give me some advice please. I hope everyone is having a good day.

Keep smiling,

Alexandra

Comments

• sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm unable to give you any advice on things but I know they always try the non surgery options first. The back brace may help a little or a lot.

I'm sure you'll be seeing the doctor again and you could ask him questions regarding other options.

Hope all goes well :)
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    If you are unsure that you've been diagnosed correctly still, you have a right to also ask for a second opinion. Good Luck.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    The age of your doctor should make no difference at all to his/her ability to diagnose. Some newly qualified docs are far more clued up than older ones. However, I do think it's important that you know for certain which you have.

I think only a rheumatologist can properly diagnose ankylosing spondylitis which is an auto-immune condition involving inflammation (as does every other 'it is') and requiring a rheumatologist to prescribe for it. Spondylosis, however, is simply degeneration of the bones and will be dealt with by your GP. I don't have this so I'm not sure if an operation will help. I imagine exercise of the right sort would, but please ask for a physio's advice on this.

I imagine few people with either disease end up in a wheelchair. Why not look at Arthritis Care's booklets on the different types of arthritis and you might get a better understanding of it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • delicatecloud
    delicatecloud Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you to stickywicket and sailrib for your support.
    I have gone to my GP today and asked for a reference to a muscular skeletal clinic. I have also bought dr. John Tanner's book. I really want to show the physiotherapist I am commited. Does anyone have experience with muscular skeletal clinics? What is it like the first time?
    On another subject, can someone with disc degenerative disease get pregnant safely without further damaging their back? My GP says yes but I would like to know it from someone who has gone though the experience. I know some companies do a kind of belt which supports your tummy but I would like to know your opinion on arthritis and pregnancy.
    I am sorry for the long post.

Alexandra
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    So things are moving. That's good.

I can't help with either of your queries except to suggest that you start a new thread or even two. Most people just look at the title of a thread so, if they feel they have nothing to contribute, will read no further. No-one, seeing the title of this particular thread, would know you wanted info on musculo-skeletal clinics or pregnancy with DDD. I'm not sure about the latter but I know a few of our members have used the former. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright