Range of Movement after THR

scribbler
scribbler Member Posts: 54
Hello, it's me again. I've been trying to get some clear picture of what can and can't be done after a hip replacement op. Very difficult. Of course the medics understandably stress the good things: freedom from pain etc and they will keep on about how soon you can drive after the op. They don't seem to realise that not everyone wants to drive!

What I'd like is a clear indication of what is possible after a THR op, what can be done after a short recovery period, what can be done eventually and what should not be attempted at all. Ideally I'd like this info in a graphic form with drawings of stick figures and green, yellow and red traffic lights! I know I'm asking too much!!

The things you will never be able to do again are played down by the doctors. eg can you ever get back to tying your own shoe laces or cutting your own toenails?
Can you get back eventually to using a normal height toilet seat or is the raised seat a permanent fixture?

I opted out of a THR when it seemed doubtful that I would be able to ride my recumbent trike afterwards. There seems very little on the web about exactly what is and isn't possible/advisable following a op.

Any comments gratefully received, but please don't suggest I wait and see afterwards what I can or can't do - the op is not reversible!.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Scribbler,

Thanks for your post to Helplines. I'm attaching a link on hip surgery http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery.aspx If you would like any further information would you to email us your details to helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk (with your name and address) we will post you as much of the information as we can. Much of this information is not easily available to us as internet links.

My understanding is that avoiding low seating (including things like loo seats) is a life long, post surgery.

If you'd like some support, do ring our free phone number and we'll be happy to take some time and hear what your concerns are.

You might find it helpful to post on the 'living with arthritis' forum and see how other people have dealt with having a replacement hip.

Do give us a ring if you'd like to.

Kind regards

Guy
  • scribbler
    scribbler Member Posts: 54
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Many thanks, Guy for your comments and the links. I'll follow up your suggestions.