managing arthritis pain without drugs

Options
flo1175
flo1175 Member Posts: 11
edited 1. Oct 2013, 13:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
My name is natalie, im a 48yo londoner. Since a surgycal menaupose (Granulosa cancer) in 2005 Im surfering with severe cervical spondylosis (I have bony spurs and curvature of the spine). I do not take drugs and Im into natural remedies, mediterranean diet and regular excercise to try to manage my pain.
Im looking for people with the same condition and who olso use the natural way to share experience and tips.
Regards

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello there. I'm sure the Mediterranean diet and exercise will help a lot but I don't think you'll find many on here trying to deal with arthritis in a purely natural way, certainly not those of us with an auto-immune version as it just can't be done.

I'm all for taking as few pain meds as possible and, if you can manage without any, good for you. At least you will stay alert which is important. Distraction is a useful weapon against pain. That's about the only natural thing I use :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello
    I havn't really taken any pain relieving meds really (doubt they'd help anyway). Things to try might be acupuncture, tens machine, meditation, gentle exercise, cold/hot compresses, soothing baths, aromatherapy oils+massage and just resting when you are feeling super achy. I find my pain never changes really but everyone is different .
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I take the minimum pain relief and have adjusted over the years to living with continual pain. Everyone has different levels of pain tolerance, one man's twinge is another's chronic agony, we each have to do what is best for us. I have two kinds of arthritis, fibro, Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. Everything hurts all the time, the only natural substance I can think of which might help is illegal - I have enough complications in my life. :wink: I wish you well in your quest, you're not the first to wonder this and you won't be the last, but whatever we do or try it will not permanently remove pain. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • flo1175
    flo1175 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello All
    Many thanks for your replies..
    The main reason why I chosed to deal the natural way is because I have a rare form of incurable cancer and only surgery can work (I had 8 in the last 10 years).
    I want my body to keep strong and ready to fight as I will need more surgeries in the years to come.
    Im doing all what Kittkat says and i swim twice a week which help a lot.
    My pain is constante some day more than the other but always there and during winter i feel like my body is just a torture chamber.
    But when im in agony i remind myself that im alive still (my cancer was stage four when diagnosed) and wil feel better tomorrow.
    If the drugs was a cure ill probably will give it a go but as it is just for comfort i cant afford it..i rather be alive in pain than dead.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Personally I am looking forward to the dead bit because then (and only then) will the pain be dealt with once and for all. I hope it doesn't come too soon but I won't hide when it does. Until then I cannot see anything wrong with trying to improve the quality of life I have by taking the minimum pain dullers (in my case four cocodamols per day) just to take the edge off matters.

I can understand your reluctance because you are dealing with a more immediate threat than mere arthritis but I wonder if you could also be causing your body more stress than it needs by being so determined to do without something which could help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm very sorry about the cancer and all the ops, Natalie. You must be a real survivor and also you must be doing the right things.

I think things like Yoga and Tai Chi are supposed to help. Have you looked in Arthritis Care's booklet on Healthy Living? (Publications & Resources at the top of the page.) Laughter is also now recognised as a 'pain reducer'. You will see, on this page, that 'thistlegirl' has put up a thread about a Channel 5 programme this evening which might be of interest to you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Natalie
    And a warm welcome from me..the only naturals things I use was arnica when I had my op..and I have given up dairy and now have goats milk and cheese..so I will see what happens..I really do wish you well xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi Natalie,

I can completely understand why you are avoiding drugs given your situation. I take them but have had lots of side effects. I practise mindfulness which helps me a lot. I was referred to a course on the NHS by my GP. There's lots of info on the web about it and it's supposed to be one of those life skills that helps you whatever your situation. In fact, I believe it was first used by a doctor who had a lot of patients with pain. We are not supposed to 'advertise' on here so I will send you a private message with his name.

all the best
    sal